view all images ( of 31 shown)

Male, US, born 1846-03-03, died 1914-01-21

Associated with the firms network

Curlett and Cuthbertson, Architects; Curlett and Eisen, Architects; Curlett and McCaw, Architects; Curlett, Eisen, and Cuthbertson, Architects; Curlett, William, Architect; Curlett, William, and Son, Architects; Johnston and Curlett, Architects; Laver and Curlett, Architects; Laver, Curlett and Lenzen, Architects


Professional History

Résumé

Draftsman, several architectural offices in Belfast, Northern Ireland, c. 1867-1870.

Draftsman, Thomas J. Johnston, Architect, San Francisco, CA, 1872. (See San Francisco, California, City Directory, 1872, p. 188,)

Partner, Johnston and Curlett, Architects, San Francisco, CA, 1873-1875. After one year working as Johnston's draftsman, Johnston made him a partner by 1873. In 1874, Curlett's brother Alexander also worked in the Johnston and Curlett office. (See San Francisco Directory, 1873, p. 179, and San Francisco Directory, 1874, p. 188.) The San Francisco City Directory, 1875,did not credit Curlett as a partner of Johnston, but they both worked in same building at 330 Pine Street, Room #52. (See San Francisco, California, City Directory, 1875, p. 222.) Alexander Curlett continued to work as a draftsman, likely for his brother.

Principal, William F. Curlett, Architect, San Francisco, CA, 1876- 1877. In 1876, Curlett and Theodore A. Eisen (1852-1924) appear to have maintained separate practices, although their offices were consecutively numbered in the same building, and they paid for ads in the 1876 San Francisco City Directorynext to each other. Curlett worked with his brother Alexander in Room #61 of the building at 330 Pine. (See San Francisco Directory, 1876, p. 237.)

Partner, Laver and Curlett, Architects, San Francisco, CA, 1877-1879. According to his entry in Los Angeles County Biographies (1913), "Almost immediately after his arrival [in the US], Mr. Curlett became associated with Augustus Laver, at that time one of the most celebrated architects of the Pacific Coast and the designer of the old city hall in San Francisco, which was destroyed in the disaster in 1906. Mr. Curlett was associated with Mr. Laver for some months and aided in the designing of numerous important buildings. Later he opened offices for himself but still retained friendly relations with Mr. Laver and was called in on several occasions by the City hall Commissioners to assist Mr. Laver on his design for the building." (See "William Curlett,"Los Angeles County Biographies, Press Reference Library, Western Edition, Notables of the West, Vol. I, Page 25, [Los Angeles: International News Service, 1913].) In 1878, Laver and Curlett had their office in the San Francisco Stock Exchange Building, at 330 Pine Street. (In 1879, they occupied Room #19. SeeSan Francisco, California, City Directory, 1879, p. 935.)

Partner, Curlett and Eisen, Architects, San Francisco, CA, 1880-c. 10/1882. In 1880, Curlett and Eisen maintained Offices #22 and 23 in the building at 330 Pine Street.

Principal, William Curlett, Architect, San Francisco, CA, 1883. In 1883, Curlett maintained a solo practice at 330 Pine Street in San Francisco. (See the San Francisco, California, City Directory, 1883, p. 1106.) Typically, city directories were in effect from about March of each new year.

Partner, Curlett and Cuthbertson, Architects, San Francisco, c. 06/1883-04/1890. By 06/1883, Curlett had partnered with Walter J. Cuthbertson with whom he worked for about seven years.

Partner, Curlett, Eisen and Cuthbertson, Architects, Los Angeles, CA, 1888. The firm had an office in Room #41 of the Downey Block. (See Los Angeles, California, City Directory, 1888, p. 768.)

Principal, William Curlett, Architect, San Francisco, CA, 1903-1908. Curlett had an office at 704 Market Street in 1908. (See the Crocker-Langley San Francisco City Directory, 1908, p. 1918.)

Partner, William Curlett and Son, Architects, San Francisco, CA, and Los Angeles, CA, 1908-1921. William Curlett and Son operated an office in San Francisco CA, between 1908 and 1919, and a branch in Los Angeles between 1913 and 1921

In 1913, Curlett and Sons had its San Francisco office in the Phelan Building. William Curlett and Son also opened a branch in Los Angeles, CA, in either late 1912 or early 1913. The Los Angeles, California, City Directory, 1913, (p. 531), indicated that William Curlett and Son's Los Angeles office was at 456 South Spring Street, Room #1022. The firm's Los Angeles address continued to be called "William Curlett and Son" in Los Angeles until 1921, when the firm name became listed as "A.E. Curlett, Architect."

Professional Activities

Curlett looks to have been an active investor in the 1880s. A "W. Curlett" was listed among the Directors of the Leduces Tute Improvement Company, of San Francisco in 1883: "Articles of incorporation have been filed with the Secretary of State of the Leduces Tute Improvement Company, of San Francisco. The Directors are A. Buck, James Otis, Charles M. Chase, Louis F. Dunand and W. Curlett. The capital stock is $25,000, divided into 2,500 shares." (See "Local Dashes," Sacramento Daily Union, vol. 18, no. 96, 12/12/1883, p. 3.)

In 1886, a "W. Curlett" was listed as a member of the Board of Directors of the Marin Building and Loan Association. An article "Looking Backward," in the Marin Journal, vol. 55, no. 45, 11/08/1917, p. 6, stated: "July 15, 1886--A new organization has been perfected here with the incorporation of the Marin County Building and Loan Association. The shares are $200, and the payments are $1 per month per share. The directors are Dr. George H. Powers, C.P. Pomeroy, Esq., Major R.H. Pond, W. Curlett, H.P. Wood, W.N. Anderson, George M. Dodge, and S.F. Barstow."

Trustee, American Institute of Architects (AIA), San Francisco Chapter, 11/1907. President, AIA, California Chapter, 1910.

The book Los Angeles County Biographies (1913) said of his activities in the American Institute of Architects: "Mr. Curlett served as President of the California Chapter of the American Institute of Architects and in 1910 attended the meeting of the American Institute of Architects and was instrumental in having this organization hold an annual meeting in San Francisco instead of Washington, D.C., the customary meeting place." (See "William Curlett,"Los Angeles County Biographies, Press Reference Library, Western Edition, Notables of the West, Vol. I, Page 25, [Los Angeles: International News Service, 1913].)

The State of California appointed Curlett to be one of its original members of the new State Board of Architecture. President, California State Board of Architects, 1912.

Member, Panama-Pacific International Exposition (PPIE), Advisory Board of Architects, c. 1913.

Professional Awards

Fellow, American Institute of Architects (FAIA).

Education

College

Coursework, Art Institute of Manchester, Manchester, UK. (See Michael R. Corbett, "Continuity and Change in California Courthouse Design 1850-2000," in Ray McDevitt, ed., Courthouses of California: An Illustrated History, [San Francisco: California Hisorical Society, 2001], p. 25.)

Curlett's biography in the book, Los Angeles County Biographies, said of this education: "Mr. Curlett, who has attained an eminent position among the architects of America, received his preliminary education in private and public schools of his native county up to the year 1862, and at that time, when about sixteen years of age, took up the study of architecture. He first became a student in the Art School at Manchester, England, and after two years there, returned to Belfast, Ireland, where he continued his studies in the Art School of Belfast. He remained there three years and for three years after leaving school, was employed in the offices of several different architects." (See "William Curlett," Los Angeles County Biographies, Press Reference Library, Western Edition, Notables of the West, Vol. I, Page 25, [Los Angeles: International News Service, 1913].)

Personal

Relocation

Born in the port town of Warrenpoint, County Down, in southeastern Northern Ireland, in 1846, William F. Curlett spent his youth up to age 16 in that country, when he resettled in Manchester, England, to attend art school. In 1864, he established himself at an art school in Belfast, Northern Ireland, spending three years in that institution. Upon leaving school, he logged three years working for architectural firms in Belfast. Curlett left Northern Ireland in 08/1871 and migrated to the US, arriving in 09/1871. A year later, he resided at 40 Everett Street in San Francisco, CA. (See the San Francisco California City Directory, 1872, p. 188.) By 1873, he dwelled at 225 2nd Street in the city. (See San Francisco Directory, 1873, p. 179.)

In 1874, Curlett and his brother Alexander resided across the bay in Oakland. (See San Francisco Directory, 1874, p. 188.)

By 1875, the Curletts had moved back to San Francisco, residing at 509 Franklin Street. (See San Francisco, California, City Directory, 1875, p. 222.)

Between 1877 and 1892, at least, the architect dwelled at 912 Pierce Street in San Francisco. (See San Francisco, California, City Directory, 1877, p. 250 and Ancestry.com, Source Information: San Francisco Area, California, U.S., Funeral Home Records, 1850-1931 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2014, accessed 02/16/2022.)

Curlett resided in Alameda, CA, in 1897, at 2014 Central Avenue. (See Oakland, California, City Directory, 1897, p. 526.)

In 1900, Curlett, his wife and two children lived at 1461 Fulton Street in San Francisco. (See Ancestry.com, Source Citation Year: 1900; Census Place: San Francisco, San Francisco, California; Roll: 104; Page: 7A; Enumeration District: 0179; FHL microfilm: 1240104, accessed 09/13/2016.)

From at least 1907 until 1913, a year before he died, Curlett lived at 2701 Pierce Street. (See the Crocker-Langley San Francisco, California, City Directory, 1907, p. 473 and Ancestry.com, San Francisco City Directory, 1913, p. 523.) In 1913, as well, William Curlett was also listed as having a residence at 1712 West 9th Street in Los Angeles. (This William Curlett was listed as being associated with the firm of William Curlett and Son.) His son, Aleck, continued to live in San Francisco. (See Los Angeles, California, City Directory, 1913, p. 531.)

After William died, his widow resided at 2 Vicente Road in Berkeley. (See Ancestry.com, Oakland City Directory, 1917, p. 383.)

Parents

His parents were Daniel Curlett and Jane Robinson Curlett.

He had at least one brother, Alexander Curlett (1856-1879), who died at age 23 in Northern Ireland.

Spouse

He married Cecilia A. Eisen (07/1855-11/1937) on 08/11/1873 in Oakland, CA. (Curlett's biography in the book Los Angeles County Biographies indicated he married on 08/12/1873.) She went by the shortened name of "Celia" and was the sister of architect Theodore Augustus Eisen (1852-1924). Theodore Eisen worked with William F. Curlett during the 1870s and early 1880s.

After his death, Cecilia Curlett resided at 2 Vicente Road in Berkeley, CA. (See Oakland, California, City Directory, 1916, p. 985.)

Children

He and Cecilia had five children although only two remained alive in 1910. They were Alexander Curlett (1881-1942), who also became an architect, and Ethel W. Curlett (born c. 1885 in San Francisco, CA).

The Sausalito News newspaper carried a brief note that mentioned William, William Curlett's son: "William, son of W. Curlett, an architect of San Francisco, met with a painful though not serious accident last Sunday morning while out duck-hunting near Novato. He was ina skiff, and while in the act of drawing the gun out of the boat it was discharged, the contents of one barrel lodging in the fleshy part of the arm. He was brought here [San Rafael] where Dr. Wickman attended him." (See "San Rafael," Sausalito News, vol. 8, no.44, 12/09/1892, p. 3.)

Biographical Notes

On Thursday, 12/03/1885, William F. Curlett was made Secretary of Masonic Doric Lodge No. 216 in San Francisco. (See "Fraternal Fellowship," Daily Alta California, vol. 39, no. 13050, 12/06/1885, p. 2.)

Headquartered in San Francisco, Curlett traveled a great deal, for both business and pleasure, during the 1880s. The Los Angeles Herald indicated that a "W. Curlett" checked into the Sierra Madre Villa on 08/14/1882. (See "Hotel Arrivals Yesterday," Los Angeles Herald, vol. XVII, no. 149, 08/15/1882, p. 3.) He was in Merced heading to Los Angeles on 09/08/1884 as reported in the Los Angeles Herald, likely accompanied by "Miss A. Eisen." (See "Passengers South and East," Los Angeles Herald, vol. 22, no. 8, 09/09/1884, p. 1.) Some of these trips were made between San Francisco and Los Angeles in the mid-to-late 1880s during the period that the Los Angeles County Courthouse #3 was being designed and erected. A "W. Curlett" was reported being in New York in the Daily Alta California newspaper on 01/12/1885. (See "Personals," Daily Alta California, vol. 38, no. 12692, 01/12/1885, p. 4.) A "W. Curlett" of Los Angeles had passed Newhall, CA, and would arrive in San Francisco on 01/26/1885. (See "Personals," Daily Alta California, vol. 38, no. 12706, 01/26/1885, p. 8.) An item in the Los Angeles Herald, noted that a "W. Curlett" of San Francisco was a registered guest at the Saint Elmo Hotel in Los Angeles. (See Los Angeles Herald, Volume 27, Number 112, 26 July 1887, p. 12.) Another brief notice appeared in the Los Angeles Herald on Christmas Day 1889: "W. Curlett, the architect was a passenger on the 1:40 train for the north yesterday afternoon." (See "Personal," Los Angeles Herald, vol. 33, no. 75, 12/25/1889, p. 10.)

William Curlett attended a welcome home banquet staged on behalf of Judge J.F. Crank, an investor in the Los Angeles and San Gabriel Valley Railroad, on 06/15/1889 at the California Club. This event was attended by many of the city's leading businessmen, lawyers and politicians. (See "Hon. J.F. Crank: Banquet Tendered Him at the California Club," Los Angeles Times, 06/16/1889, p. 3.)

Curlett was a member of the elite Bohemian Club in San Francisco. He joined that organization on 02/02/1886. (SeeThe Bohemian Club San Francisco, Certificate of Incorporation, Constitution, By-Laws and Rules, Officers, Committees, and Members, [San Francisco: Bohemian Club, 1907], p. 93.)

In 1892, voter records indicated that 46-year-old William Curlett stood 5-feet, 10-and-1/2-inches talland had a light Caucasian complexion with blue eyes and gray hair. This voter record noted that he had been naturalized on 08/05/1884 in the Superior Court of San Francisco. (See Ancestry.com, Source Information: San Francisco Area, California, U.S., Funeral Home Records, 1850-1931 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2014, accessed 02/16/2022.



Associated Locations

PCAD id: 153


NameDateCityState
State of California, Southern California State Asylum for Insane and Inebriates, Patton, CA1893PattonCA
California State Bank, Sacramento, CASacramentoCA
City and County of San Francisco, Public Library (SFPL), McCreery, Andrew B., Branch, San Francisco, CA 1903-1904San FranciscoCA
City of Marysville, Public Library, Marysville, CAMarysvilleCA
City of Yuba City, Hall of Records, Yuba City, CA1890-1891Yuba CityCA
Crocker, Charles C. and Mary Ann Deming, House, Nob Hill, San Francisco, CA 1878-1880San FranciscoCA
Farmers and Merchants National Bank of Los Angeles, Headquarters Building #4, Downtown, Los Angeles, CA1915Los AngelesCA
Freeman College of Applied Sciences, Inglewood, CAInglewoodCA
Gates Hotel, Downtown, Los Angeles, CA 1912-1913Los AngelesCA
Head Building, Union Square, San Francisco, CA1909San FranciscoCA
Los Angeles Hospital of the Good Samaritan #2, Los Angeles, CA1895-1896Los AngelesCA
Mutual Savings Bank of San Francisco, Headquarters Building #2, Financial District, San Francisco, CA1900-1901San FranciscoCA
Mutual Savings Bank of San Francisco, Headquarters Building #3, San Francisco, CASan FranciscoCA
Pacific Union Club, Curlett Club House Design Competition Project, Nob Hill, San Francisco, CA1908San FranciscoCA
Phelan Building, Mixed-Use Retail and Apartment Building, South Park, San Francisco, CA1897San FranciscoCA
Phelan, James D., Building #2, Market Street, San Francisco, CA1907-1908San FranciscoCA
Phelan, James Duval, House, Saratoga, CA1912-1914SaratogaCA
Phelan, Mary L., Building, Market Street, Financial District, San Francisco, CA1908San FranciscoCA
Potomac Building, Downtown, Los Angeles, CA 1889-1890Los AngelesCA
San Francisco Savings Union, Headquarters Building #4, 532 California Street, Financial District, San Francisco, CA 1892-1894San FranciscoCA
Shreve Building, Union Square, San Francisco, CA1905-1906San FranciscoCA
Superior Court of California, County of Fresno, Courthouse #2, Fresno, CA1893FresnoCA
Superior Court of California, County of Los Angeles, Courthouse #3, Los Angeles, CA 1887-1891Los AngelesCA
University of California, Affiliated Colleges Project, Berkeley, CA1896BerkeleyCA
University of California, Berkeley (UCB), Mechanics Building, Berkeley, CA 1892-1893BerkeleyCA
"Freeman College of Applied Sciences, Curlett, Eisen & Cuthbertson, Architects ", American Architect and Architecture, XXIV: 656, 1888. "Curlett elected as AIA SF Trustee 3/1907", Architect & Engineer of California, 55, 3/1907. "Curlett elected as AIA SF Trustee 11/1907", Architect & Engineer of California, 76, 11/1907. "Phelan Building, San Francisco, 1908", Architect & Engineer of California, 34, 02/1908. "Phelan Building, San Francisco, 1906", Architect & Engineer of California, 80, 12/1906. "Phelan Building, San Francisco, 1907", Architect & Engineer of California, 94, 04/1907. "Babson Obituary", Architect & Engineer of California, 79, 8/1907. "Yuba City Hall of Records", California Architect and Building News, 12, col 2, 01/18/1890. "Good Samaritan Hospital", California Independent, 6, 1896-02-12. Gebhard, David, Winter, Robert, Guide to Architecture in San Francisco and Northern California, 69, 1985. Ochsner, Jeffrey Karl, "Seeing Richardson in His Time: The Problem of the Romanesque Revival", H.H. Richardson The Architect, His Peers and Their Era, 127, 1999. Gebhard, David, Winter, Robert, Los Angeles An Architectural Guide, 214, 1994. Gebhard, David, Winter, Robert, "Merchants National Bank Building (now Lloyd's Bank,) 1915", Los Angeles An Architectural Guide, 238, 1994. "Los Angeles Courthouse #2 Description", Los Angeles Times, 8, 1887-05-13. "Fellowship of State Voiced", Los Angeles Times, 3, 04/13/1910. "Tall Building for Mutual Savings Bank", San Francisco Call, 87: 149, 12, 1900-04-18. "Huge Phelan Building Already Is a Landmark", San Francisco Call, 103: 29, 40, 1907-12-29. Crockwell, J. H., Souvenir of Marysville and Yuba City, n.p., n. d.. "Yuba City Hall of Records article", Sunset Magazine, 481, 10/1904. "Dedication of the Good Samaritan Hospital", The Capital, 5, 1896-02-15.