view all images ( of 4 shown)

Male, US, born 1924-10-21, died 2010-10-24

Associated with the firms network

Anderson, Ralph D., and Partners, Architects; Anderson, Ralph D., Architect


Professional History

Résumé

Military service, US Army Air Corps (USAAC), Boca Raton Field, Boca Raton, FL, c. 1942-1945; he became sick and was not sent to combat during the war. He was stationed at Boca Raton Field, where the USAAC maintained a technical training command center and its RADAR technical school. Draftsman, Paul Hayden Kirk, Architect, c. 1951-1954; Anderson worked for Paul Hayden Kirk when the firm was beginning to formulate its Regional Modern approach to design, an approach that strongly affected Anderson's own career. Principal, Ralph D. Anderson, Architect, Seattle, WA, c. 1954-1972; Partner, Ralph Anderson and Partners, Architects, Seattle, WA, c. 1973; he was partners with T. William Booth and Robert Koch.

Professional Service

Anderson served as one of the most important figures in the redevelopment of the Pioneer Square neighborhood of Downtown Seattle, WA, in the 1960s. During the late 1950s, Anderson operated an office at 108 S. Jackson Street in Pioneer Square, being one of the first architects to locate there. He became interested in the place and took out a second mortgage to buy the First Jackson Building. In 1960, Anderson purchased the Union Trust Building in Pioneer Square from prominent landlord, Sam Israel. (According to Anderson, this was the only building Israel ever sold!) This became one of the earliest reclamation projects of a brick industrial/office building in Pioneer Square, and served as the site for Anderson's architectural practice. Approximately three years later, he bought the Fisher Studio Building and converted it to live/work lofts, (living and working there after his kids went to college) probably the first use instance of this occurring in the neighborhood. Anderson was friendly with Richard White, an art gallery owner, who also had an interest in rehabilitating buildings in this area. By 1963, a number of other investors--most prominently the developer Alan Black--were impressed with the efforts of Anderson and White, and joined in the area's renovation process.

By the late 1960s, preservation efforts had proceeded to a point where a National Register District was formed and the Seattle City government extended legal protection to Pioneer Square in the early 1970s. In his own estimation, Anderson considered himself a "poor man's Roland Terry." (See Dean Stahl, "Taking The Long View," Seattle Times Pacific Magazine, 07/29/2007,Accessed 09/16/2009.) Anderson never joined the American Institute of Architects (AIA), and had little use for other professional organizations; this did not mean that he did not assist younger architects in gaining experience. Many prominent practitioners worked in the Anderson office during the 1960s and 1970s, including Jim Olson, George Suyama, T. William Booth, and many others. His obituary quoted Suyama recalling his time in his office: "It 'was a melting pot of all these great, creative juices,' Suyama said. Mr. Anderson, he said, "was a very nurturing and very giving person" who gave younger architects the same creative freedom and control over their projects that he always demanded for himself." (See Sara Jean Green, Seattle Times, 10/30/2010,Accessed 09/11/2012.)

Archives

In 2012, the majority of Ralph Anderson's papers and drawings were held by his partner, Robert Koch. Ross Anderson, Ralph's son, also retained a few items in his architectural office, Anderson/Collier Architects.

Education

Education

Graduate, Queen Anne High School, Queen Anne, Seattle, WA; B.Arch., University of Washington, Seattle, WA, 1951;

Personal

Relocation

Born in Seattle, Anderson grew up in the Magnolia Neighborhood and attended high school in Queen Anne. During the Second World War, he spent some time in Boca Raton, FL with the US Army Air Corps, although, due to an illnes, he never saw action abroad. He returned to Seattle, and matriculated at the University of Washington, where he graduated in 1951. He spent the rest of his life practicing in Seattle. Anderson passed away at his residence in the Horizon House retirement community, a facility in which many architects have chosen to reside.

Parents

His father, also named Ralph Anderson, was born in ND, but moved to Seattle by 1930, where he worked as a fireman. His father came from Sweden, his mother from ND. The younger Ralph's mother, Susie, was born in Northern Ireland.

Spouse

Ralph married Shirley Anderson on 05/24/1957. She worked as a pediatrician, who did her residency at Seattle Children's Hospital.

Children

Ralph and Shirley Anderson had two sons; Ross and Kel. Ross became an architect in Seattle, WA, with the firm of Anderson Collier Architects. Kel lived in Bali at the time of his father's death.

Biographical Notes

Anderson died of kidney cancer at age 86, a disease that had afflicted him 30 years previously.


PCAD id: 2344


NameDateCityState
10020 SE 27th Street House, Beaux Arts Village, Bellevue, WA1969BellevueWA
12425 NE 39th Street House, Bridle Trails, Bellevue, WA1969BellevueWA
18 Highland Drive House, Queen Anne, Seattle, WA1965SeattleWA
2018 87th Avenue NE House, Clyde Hill, WAClyde HillWA
4555 54th Avenue SW House, West Seattle, Seattle, WASeattleWA
6007 79th Avenue SE House, Mercer Island, WA1969Mercer IslandWA
8551 SE 80th Street House, Mercer Island, WA1965-1966Mercer IslandWA
8610 NE 23rd Place House, Clyde Hill, WA1977Clyde HillWA
Alaska Trade Building, Seattle, WA1915SeattleWA
Ambaum Medical and Dental Clinic, Seattle, WA1965SeattleWA
American Can Company, Factory, Downtown, Seattle, WA1924SeattleWA
Anderson, Einar, House, Laurelhurst, Seattle, WASeattleWA
Anderson, Ralph D. and Shirley, House #1, Hidden Lake, WA1952Hidden LakeWA
Anderson, Ralph D. and Shirley, House #3, West Seattle, Seattle, WA1998-1999SeattleWA
Ballard, John G., House, Mercer Island, WA1961Mercer IslandWA
Butterworth Building, Downtown, Seattle, WA1903SeattleWA
Capital Brewing Company, Office Building, Pioneer Square, Seattle, WA1900-1901SeattleWA
Concrete Engineering Company, Carports, Tacoma, WATacomaWA
Fort Worden, Commander's House, Port Townsend, WAPort TownsendWA
Glickman, Harry and Jeannette, House, Wedgwood, Seattle, WA1959-1960SeattleWA
Innis Arden House, Innis Arden, Shoreline, WA1958
Jones, Robert W. and Gerd Korsnes, House, Mercer Island, WA1965-1966Mercer IslandWA
Kotkins, Henry, Sr., and Marion, House, Seattle, WASeattleWA
Market Place North, Public Market Center, Seattle, WA1980-1982SeattleWA
Meier, Kenneth and Mabel, House, San Juan Island, WASan Juan IslandWA
Miller, Jack, House, Seattle, WASeattleWA
Nelson, Melvin, House, Mercer Island, WA1962-1963Mercer IslandWA
Patha House, Seattle, WASeattleWA
Pifer House, Queen Anne, Seattle, WA1970SeattleWA
Pioneer Building, Pioneer Square, Seattle, WA1889-1891SeattleWA
Puget Mill Company, Port Gamble Mill, General Store, Port Gamble, WAPort GambleWA
Runions House, Magnolia, Seattle, WASeattleWA
Seattle Trust Court, Seattle, WA1977SeattleWA
Sodergren Apartments, Seattle, WA1960SeattleWA
Somerset View House, Seattle, WA1961SeattleWA
Squire-Latimer Building, Pioneer Square, Seattle, WA1889-1890SeattleWA
Tucker, Dr. Frederick, House, Seattle, WA1954SeattleWA
Union Trust Building, Pioneer Square, Seattle, WA1893SeattleWA
University of Washington, Seattle (UW), Fisheries Center, Seattle, WA1949-1950SeattleWA
University of Washington, Seattle (UW), Mueller, James I., Hall, Seattle, WA1986SeattleWA