AKA: University of Washington, Seattle, Fisheries Research Institute, Seattle, WA

Structure Type: built works - public buildings - schools - university buildings

Designers: Anderson, Ralph D., Architect (firm); Young and Richardson, Architects and Engineers (firm); Ralph D. Anderson (architect); Stephen Hinley Richardson (architect); Arrigo Mazzucato Young (civil engineer/mechanical engineer)

Dates: constructed 1949-1950

2 stories

University of Washington, Seattle, WA

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map

Young and Richardson's Fisheries Center was dedicated on 11/27/1950. A Seattle Times article of the day before indicated that the center cost "about $1,000,000." (See "Fisheries Center Will Be Dedicated," Seattle Times, 11/26/1950, p. 15.)

In 1954, the Fisheries Center housed one of the largest collections of fish specimens in the U.S. It had over 200,000 specimens of 1,800 species of fish.

An addition designed by Ralph D. Anderson was built in 1968.

PCAD id: 9631