AKA: University of Washington, Seattle (UW), Gates, Mary, Hall, Seattle, WA

Structure Type: built works - public buildings - schools - university buildings

Designers: Bassetti Architects (firm); Carlson, Eley, and Grevstad, Architects (firm); Graham, John and Company, Architects and Engineers (firm); Hartman Cox Architects (firm); Henrikson - Alstrom Construction Company (firm); Louis Alstrom (building contractor); Frederick Forde Bassetti (architect); Marilyn Brockman (architect); Paul Gordon Carlson (architect); Warren Jacob Cox (architect); Frederick Richard Eley (architect); John Graham Sr. (architect/engineer); Barney Elmer Grevstad (architect); George Eitel Hartman (architect); John Henrik Henrikson (building contractor); Richard Huxley (architect); Lorne L. McConachie (architect); Arvid Strand (building contractor)

Dates: constructed 1927-1928

3 stories

University of Washington (UW) Campus, Seattle, WA 98195

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map

Building History

In 09/1995, William Gates III donated $10 million to create a fund honoring his mother, Mary Maxwell Gates (1929-1994), known as the "Mary Gates Endowment for Students, income from which was to support outstanding undergraduate students." To honor the Gates Family's generosity, the former Physics Building was soon thereafter renamed "Mary Gates Hall." (See University of Washington.edu, Columns magazine, "Son Gives UW $10 Million in Honor of Mary Gates; Old Physics Building Renamed Mary Gates Hall," published 09/1995, accessed 09/03/2021.)

The 1995 Columns article detailed Mary Gates's lifetime of philanthropy and her deep connections to the UW: "Mary Maxwell Gates, who died in June 1994, was well known as a community leader who promoted voluntary service and philanthropy both nationally and in the state of Washington. Among her achievements, she served on the board of United Way of King County (1974-88) and many other nonprofit and corporate boards. Her work with United Way led to national recognition of her leadership. She served as a member of the board of directors of United Way International (1980-1990) and was the first woman to chair the executive committee of that board (1985-87). A 1950 graduate, Mary Gates had many connections to the University of Washington: Both her parents were graduates, she met her husband when both were UW students, and one of their three children graduated from the University. In addition to her service as a regent of the University, she also served on the University of Washington Foundation Board, the University of Washington Medical Center Board and the School of Business Administration's Advisory Board." (See University of Washington.edu, Columns magazine, "Son Gives UW $10 Million in Honor of Mary Gates; Old Physics Building Renamed Mary Gates Hall," published 09/1995, accessed 09/03/2021.)

Building Notes

Formerly the physics building, Mary Gates Hall later housed undergraduate services and the Information School.

Alteration

This building was added to in 1948, 1955, 1971-1972 and 1997-1998.

A southeast wing was added by the firm of John Graham and Company in 1948.

Seattle architects Carlson, Eley and Grevsted designed the Cosmic Ray Laboratory in 1955.

Another local firm, Durham, Anderson and Freed, supervised the addition of the Physics Building's East Wing in 1971-1972.

The 1997-1998 renovation was designed by Seattle-based Bassetti Architects and Washington, DC-based Hartman Cox. Marilynn Brockman was the Partner-in-Charge for Bassetti Architects of this addition and renovation. The 1955 addition and some of the 1971-1972 addition were demolished in 1997.

PCAD id: 5375