AKA: Old Chemistry Building, Stanford, CA

Structure Type: built works - public buildings - schools - university buildings

Designers: Day, Clinton, Architect (firm); Clinton Day (architect); Charles E. Hodges

Dates: [unspecified]

The Old Chemistry Building was vacated in 1986, and declared off-limits after the 1989 Loma Prieta Earthquake. It has remained empty for over 20 years. Due to its vacancy during the 1898 quake, the Old Chemistry Building was not eligible for FEMA grant money for rebuilding. A Facilities Analysis Study was written in 1998, recommending reuse of the historic structure.

In the Great San Francisco Earthquake of 04/18/1906, the Chemistry Building received significant but not catastrophic damage. Portions of the front facade fell, and interior fume hoods collapsed, but the building performed better than the destroyed Library and Gymnasium, built contemporaneously. Workers restored the Chemistry building during the summer of 1906, and it was reoccupied that year. In 1960, the building was remodeled.

PCAD id: 7880