AKA: Lincoln High School, San Francisco, CA

Structure Type: built works - public buildings - schools - high schools

Designers: Meyer, Peugh, Pflueger and Rist, Architects (firm); Weihe, Frick and Kruse, Architects (firm); Edward L. Frick (architect); Lawrence A. Kruse (architect); Frederick Herman Meyer (architect); Wilbur David Peugh (architect); Timothy Ludwig Pflueger (architect); Martin J. Rist (architect); Ernest E. Weihe (architect)

Dates: constructed 1938-1940

3 stories

view all images ( of 2 shown)

2162 24th Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94116-1723

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map

Building History

A web site published by Lincoln High School indicated: "Abraham Lincoln High School came into existence on Tuesday, August 27, 1940, accepting approximately 950 students under Lincoln’s first Principal, Clyde W. White. Its opening and dedication ceremony was held on September 22, 1940. The result of a 1938 bond measure approved by San Francisco voters to address the increasing population in the Western San Francisco area, Abraham Lincoln High School was incorporated into a modern three-story building that was completed at a cost of over $750,000 in 1940 with just 50 classrooms, a cafeteria, a football field, and a library. A little known fact is that the North and South Gymnasiums, the auditorium, and the bungalow expansion were completed much later as separate projects." (See "History of ALHS Overview :Lincoln History,"Accessed 02/27/2012.) It is likely that the 1938 San Francisco municipal bond measure supplemented Federal Public Works Administration (PWA) money. The Meyer Construction Company got the contract to build the first portions of Lincoln. The architectural firm was headed by Frederick H. Meyer (1876-1961), Meyer, Peugh, Pflueger and Rist.

Alteration

North and South Gymnasiums and an auditorium were built after 1940. Weihe, Frick and Kruse, Architects, the successor San Francisco, CA, firm of Bakewell and Weihe, designed a unit of Lincoln High School between 1952-1954.

PCAD id: 6696