AKA: TRA Columbia Building, Downtown, Seattle, WA; Pacific Northwest Title Company Building, Downtown, Seattle, WA

Structure Type: built works - commercial buildings - office buildings

Designers: Abacus Mechanical Engineers (firm); Bayley Construction Company (firm); Schack, Young and Myers, Architects and Engineers (firm); Skilling Ward Magnusson Barkshire, (SWMB), Incorporated, Engineers (firm); The Richardson Associates (TRA) Architecture, Engineering, Planning, Interiors (firm); Thomas, Harlan C., Architect (firm); Arthur J. Barkshire (structural engineer); Robert E. Bayley (building contractor); James Daly (architect); Pat Fry (building contractor); Douglas Hofius (architect); Jon Magnusson (structural engineer); David John Myers (architect); James Hansen Schack Sr. (architect); John Bower Skilling (structural engineer); Irving Harlan Thomas (architect); William D. Ward (structural engineer); Arrigo Mazzucato Young (civil engineer/mechanical engineer)

Dates: constructed 1924

view all images ( of 2 shown)

219 Columbia Street
Downtown, Seattle, WA 98104-1511

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map
Located at 3rd Avenue and Columbia Street.

The Seattle Chamber of Commerce operated in this Harlan Thomas-designed office building from 1924-1969. The architecture firm TRA Architecture renovated the building and occupied it for a number of years, 1969-1997, before it dissolved.

This Romanesque Revival office building was said to be Seattle's first done in cast stone. In 1926, the Seattle Real Estate Board occupied offices in the Chamber of Commerce Building.

TRA Architects supervised the restoration of the first floor commercial spaces and the exterior cast stone which had been covered during previous renovations. Associated Sand and Gravel of Everett, WA, was involved in this renovation effort of the exterior cast stone. When it moved into the building, Pacific Northwest Title Company completely remodeled the interior, restoring a few notable architectural details. Additional seismic bracing occurred at this time. Bayley Construction Company participated in the renovation work. The list of subcontractors consisted of: Nuprecon, demolition; SME, electrical; Air Systems, mechanical; and Mehrer, drywall.

Seattle Historic Landmark: ID n/a

PCAD id: 5178