Structure Type: built works - commercial buildings - office buildings

Designers: Albright, Harrison, Architect (firm); Burton and Parkinson, Architects (firm); Harrison Albright (architect); James Lee Burton (architect); John Parkinson (architect)

Dates: constructed 1897

315 South Broadway
Los Angeles, CA 90013-1207

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map

In 1897, the East Liverpool, OH, ceramics tycoon, Homer Laughlin, sold minority interests in his company, the Homer Laughlin China Company, to two other investors and retired to Los Angeles, CA; for Laughlin, Parkinson designed an office building billed as Los Angeles's first steel-reinforce concrete "fireproof building;" the Homer Laughlin Building was the first office building west of the Mississippi to employ concrete floors for fire resistance.

Frank Lloyd Wright operated a Los Angeles office in the Homer Laughlin Building in the early part of the 20th century;

Architect Harrison Albright supervised a building addition, known as the Homer Laughlin Annex, in 1905. Shortly thereafter, the Los Angeles Public Library moved into the new annex, in 03/1906; the library occupied two floors with a roof garden. See "Eighteenth Annual Report, Los Angeles Public Library, for the year ending November 30, 1906," (Los Angeles Public Library, Los Angeles, CA, 1907), p. 1-4.

PCAD id: 1468