AKA: Village Green, Los Angeles, CA

Structure Type: built works - dwellings - housing - affordable housing

Designers: Barlow and Edmundson, Landscape Architects (firm); Johnson, Wilson, Merrill, and Alexander, Architects (firm); Stein, Clarence S., Architect (firm); Wilson and Merrill, Architects (firm); Robert Evans Alexander (architect); Frederick Barlow Jr. (landscape architect); Frederick Edmundson (landscape architect); Reginald Davis Johnson (architect); Margaret Lowe (architectural photographer); Edwin Merrill (architect); Clarence Samuel Stein (urban planner); Lewis Eugene Wilson (architect)

Dates: constructed 1940-1941

5300 Rodeo Road
Baldwin Hills, Los Angeles, CA 90016-5161

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map
Rodeo Road near La Brea Avenue;

The famed city planner, Clarence S. Stein (1882-1975), provided the site plan for Baldwin Hills, Village, one of the more successful public housing projects of its time in the United States; this war-time effort was also supervised by architects Reginald Johnson (1882-1952), Robert Evans Alexander (1907-1992), Edwin Merrill, Lewis Wilson and landscape architect, Fred Barlow, Jr., (1902-1953); Baldwin Hills Village consisted of 629 units; it has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places; named City of Los Angeles Historic Cultural Monument in 1977; The New England Life Insurance Company bought Baldwin Hills Village in 1949.

This project covered 80 acres with a 20-acre park in the center. 627 apartments stood in the development in 1964.

Los Angeles Historical-Cultural Monument (1977): ID n/a

PCAD id: 1074