view all images ( of 6 shown)

Male, born 1861-09-10, died 1917-05-26

Associated with the firms network

Masqueray, E.L., Architect; Warren and Wetmore, Architects

Professional History


Designer, Carrère and Hastings, Architects, New York, NY, 1887-1892.

Chief Assistant, Richard Morris Hunt, Architect, New York, NY, 1892-1895.

Chief Assistant, Richard Howland Hunt, Architect, New York, NY, 1895-1897.

Designer, Warren and Wetmore, Architects, New York, NY, 1897-1901.

Chief of Design, Louisiana Purchase Exposition, (Saint Louis World's Fair), Saint Louis, MO, 07/30/1901-06/1904. At the Louisiana Purchase Exposition Masqueray met Archbishop John Ireland (1838-1918), who became impressed with the architecture at the fair and sought out its chief architect. Ireland hoped to build a grand cathedral in Saint Paul, MN, and found in Masqueray the right man for the job. (See Alan K. Lathrop, “A French Architect in Minnesota,” Minnesota History, vol. 47,no. 2, Summer 1980, p. 49.)

Principal, Emmanuel Louis Masqueray, Architect, Saint Paul, MN, 1905-1917. Masqueray also operated his atelier in New York, NY, until c. 1916. In 1909, Masqueray leased office space in Room #312 of the Dispatch Building in Saint Paul, MN. (See St Paul, Minnesota, City Directory, 1909, p. 1847.)


Founder, Atelier Masqueray, Architect, New York, NY, 1893-1901. At one time Masqueray operated independent architectural studios for men (opened in 1893 at 123 E. 23rd Street) and women (opened 1899 at 37–40 West 22nd Street), before moving to Saint Louis, MO, in 1901, to supervise the design of the Saint Louis World's Fair of 1904. A number of renowned architects trained here, including William Van Alen (1883-1954) and Leonard B. Schultze (1877-1951) of the firm of Schultze and Weaver, the firm that designed the Los Angeles Biltmore Hotel.

The Atelier Masqueray operated on its own once Masqueray left for Saint Louis in 1901. The architect Henry Hornsbostel (1867-1961) operated it following his departure. According to historian Henry Castle, “His atelier in New York having been organized as a self-governing institution, found another professor in Mr. Hornbostel and continued as he left it…. " (See See Henry Anson Castle, History of Saint Paul and Vicinity, vol. 3, [Chicago: Lewis Pub. Co.], p. 1095.)


The University of Minnesota, Northwest Architectural Archives Repository, Minneapolis, MN, holds "...drawings for the Cathedral of St. Paul (St. Paul, Minnesota) as well as drawings for four other churches, an orphan asylum, and St. Joseph's College (Dubuque, Iowa). The collection also includes photographs, notes, and watercolor paintings." (See University of Minnesota, Northwest Architectural Archives, "Emmanuel Louis Masqueray Collection," accessed 03/16/208.)



Dipl., École nationale supérieure des beaux-arts, Paris, France, 04/04/1879- c. 1886 He was a pupil of Charles Laisné (1819-1891) and then Léon Ginain (1825-1898). Ginain produced designs for the École de Médecine in Paris.

Masqueray attended the École contemporaneously with Whitney Warren, (1864-1943), his boss between 1897 and 1901, who attended the school between 1884 and 1894.

College Awards

Recipient, Prix Deschaumes, École nationale supérieure des beaux-arts,1880.

Recipient, Prix Chaudesaigues, École nationale supérieure des beaux-arts,1881.

Recipient, Medaille d'Or, Salon of 1883, Paris, France, 1883. Masquerary won this gold medal for measured drawings that he made of the Ducal Castle at Urbino, built for Duke Federico III da Montefeltro beginning in 1454.



His mother was Henriette Marie Louise Masqueray (b. 10/22/1840 in France- d. 02/27/1913 in Saint Paul, MN)

Associated Locations

PCAD id: 7751