view all images ( of 8 shown)

Male, born 1852-07-10, died 1924-03-14

Associated with the firms network

Curlett and Eisen, Architects; Curlett, Eisen, and Cuthbertson, Architects; Eisen and Hunt, Architects; Eisen and Son, Firm #1, Architects; Eisen and Son, Firm #2, Architects; Eisen, August F., Architect; Eisen, Theodore A., Architect; Morgan and Eisen, Architects

Professional History


Partner, [August] Eisen and Son, Architect, San Francisco, CA, fl.. 1870s.

Principal, T.A. Eisen, Architect, San Francisco, CA, fl. 1877- . In 1877, Theodore A. Eisen maintained his architectural practice at 120 Sutter Street. (See San Francisco, California, City Directory, 1877, p. 465.)

Partner, Curlett, Eisen and Cuthbertson, Architects, Los Angeles, CA, c. 1888- ; Superintendent of Building, City of Los Angeles, CA, 1893-1895; Inspector of Street Sprinkling, City of Los Angeles, CA, 1894.

Partner, Hunt and Eisen, Architects, Los Angeles, CA, 01/01/1895-1899. Principal, Theodore Eisen, Architect, Los Angeles, CA, 1900-1908.

Partner, [Theodore] Eisen and Son, Architects, Los Angeles, CA, 05/1908-1917. Eisen Registered Architect #265 in the State of California.

Professional Activities

Member, American Institute of Architects (AIA); Member, Society of Architects and Engineers. Eisen presented a talk, "Architecture and Education," with his former business partner, Sumner P. Hunt (1865-1938), before the Sunset Club in Los Angeles, CA, 02/04/1905;


High School

Eisen was educated in public secondary schools in San Francisco. He apprenticed in the office of a Saint Louis, MO. architect until age 21 and then worked in his father's office in San Francisco.



Born in Cincinnati, OH c. 1852, Theodor Eisen arrived in San Francisco, along with his parents, in 1854, and spent much of his youth here. By 1870, however, he had relocated to Ward 11 of Saint Louis, MO, where he lived in the house of architect Stephenson Woods and his wife, Hannah. The Woods had four other people residing in the house: Hattie Woods (born c. 1830 in NY), Freeman Woods (born c. 1854 in NY), Lucinda Hoover (born c. 1840 in Canada) and Eisen;

In 1880, according to the US Census, Eisen lived with his mother, Babette, a lodger, Clara Evans, his sisters, Amelia, Alice and Jeannie and brothers, Edward and Frank, at 509 Franklin Street, San Francisco; voter's records for the same year noted an address of 517 Franklin.

He moved to Los Angeles in 1887 establishing his first office in the Downey Block. A year later, he was a partner in the firm of Curlett, Eisen and Cuthbertson, occupying Room 41 of the Downey Building, on the south side of Jenkins Street near Grand Avenue. He lived at 238 West 24th Street in Los Angeles in 1890, according to voting registration records. He remained in Southern CA until his death in 1923. According to the US Censuses of 1900 and 1910, Eisen lived with his wife and two children at 2626 South Figueroa Street in Los Angeles; in the latter year, the household also included a niece, Edna A. Bennett, (born c. 1892 in CA) and a servant, Esther Olson, (born c. 1892 in Sweden). Eisen's business had prospered enough between 1900-1910 for him to hire a live-in servant.


His father was Augustus Ferdinand Eisen (1824-1873), who worked in both Cincinnati, OH, and San Francisco, CA; Augustus Eisen was an early and significant architect in San Francisco's 19th century development; his mother was Babette Eisen, a homemaker, born c. 1826 in Prussia.


Theodore A. Eisen married Annie Bennett, (born 07/1858 in Australia), in San Francisco, CA, 02/01/1882. Annie's parents both emigrated from England to Australia in the mid-1800s. She died 01/1932, in Los Angeles, CA.


Theodore and Annie Eisen had two sons: Percy Augustus (born 12/1885 in CA-d. 1946), who became an architect in Los Angeles, and Dr. Edward George Eisen (born 08/1890 in CA).

Biographical Notes

Eisen's name was written originally as "Theodor," a Germanic spelling without the "e."

Eisen was an Episcopalian; Eisen was an organizer of the Saint John's Episcopal Church in Los Angeles; Eisen and his family were laid to rest in Forest Lawn Memorial Park, Glendale, CA. Member, Sunset Club, Los Angeles, CA.

Associated Locations

  • Los Angeles, CA (Architect's Death)
    Los Angeles, CA

    OpenStreetMap (new tab)
    Google Map (new tab)
    click to view google map

  • Cincinnati, OH (Architect's Birth)
    Cincinnati, OH

    OpenStreetMap (new tab)
    Google Map (new tab)
    click to view google map

PCAD id: 735

"Freeman College of Applied Sciences, Curlett, Eisen & Cuthbertson, Architects ", American Architect and Architecture, XXIV: 656, 1888. "Piano at Doheny House, Chester Place, Los Angeles", Architectural Record, 261, 3/1905. "Holterhoff House Plans", Builder and Contractor, 2, col 1, 04/20/1898. "Poyoreno House Plans", Builder and Contractor, 2, col 1, 03/06/1895. "Eisen, Theodore, career changes, 1895", Builder and Contractor, 1, col 3, 1/2/1895. Winter, Robert W., "The Arroyo Culture", California Design 1910, 14-16, 1980. Ochsner, Jeffrey Karl, "Seeing Richardson in His Time: The Problem of the Romanesque Revival", H.H. Richardson The Architect, His Peers and Their Era, 127, 1999. "Francis, John Fillmore, House, Los Angeles, building permit", Los Angeles Daily Journal, 4, col 1, 03/13/1899. "Francis, John Fillmore, House, Los Angeles, plans", Los Angeles Daily Journal, 4, col 1, 03/10/1899. "Hollywood Presbyterian Church New Building", Los Angeles Daily Journal, 2, col 1, 05/25/1908. "Plans for 4-room church building", Los Angeles Daily Journal, 2, col 3, 10/26/1909. "Hollywood plans new church for Presbyterians at cost of $80,000", Los Angeles Examiner, 7, 12/26/1909. "Hunt and Eisen present talk at Sunset Club, Los Angeles", Los Angeles Graphic, 7, 02/04/1905. "The Architects' Organization", Los Angeles Times, 7, 9/21/1895. "Fellowship of State Voiced", Los Angeles Times, 3, 04/13/1910. "Three Thousand More", Los Angeles Times, 19, 06/23/1900. "Architects Eat", Los Angeles Times, 9, 5/23/1895. "Los Angeles Courthouse #2 Description", Los Angeles Times, 8, 1887-05-13. "City Briefs", Los Angeles Times, 8, 04/09/1896. "Russell murals unveiled", Southwest Art, 60, 5/1989.