Partners: network

Edgardo Contini, Rex Lotery, Charles Willard Moore, Harvey S. Perloff

Active 1971-1993

Firm Notes

This firm was founded by urban planner Harvey S. Perloff at the University of California, Los Angeles, (UCLA) in 1971. Charles W. Moore, when he became Dean of the School of Architecture at the UCLA in 1974, took an active interest in the Urban Innovations Group. Perloff founded the group to fuse a closer interrelationship between the practices of architecture and urban planning, and the UIG obtained several notable commissions during its existence, including the Beverly Hills Civic Center Renovation and Master Plan, Master Plan of the Bunker Hill section of Downtown Los Angeles and the idiosynchratic Piazza d'Italia in New Orleand, LA.

The Alexander Architectural Archives, University of Texas Libraries, The University of Texas at Austin. maintained the records of the Urban Innovations Group, dating between 1973 and 1992. The collection consisted of 58 rolls of drawings, 4,000 slides and 6 linear feet of papers and photographs.

Additional information on the UIG can be found in the Charles Moore and Urban Innovations Group drawings and model, Architecture and Design Collection. Art, Design and Architecture Museum; University of California, Santa Barbara (UCSB), Santa Barbara, CA and in the Rex Lotery papers, Architecture and Design Collection. Art, Design & Architecture Museum; University of California, Santa Barbara (UCSB), Santa Barbara, CA.

The Los Angeles architect Rex Lotery (1930-2007) headed the UIG between 1984 and 1992.

PCAD id: 318