AKA: Wells Fargo Center, Wells Fargo and Company Bank Tower, Bunker Hill, Downtown, Los Angeles, CA

Structure Type: built works - commercial buildings - banks (buildings); built works - commercial buildings - office buildings

Designers: Halprin, Lawrence and Associates, Landscape Architects (firm); Maguire Partners (firm); Skidmore, Owings and Merrill, (SOM), Los Angeles, CA (firm); Lawrence Halprin (landscape architect); Robert Francis Maguire III (developer); John Ogden Merrill (architect); Nathaniel Alexander Owings (architect); Louis Skidmore Sr. (architect)

Dates: constructed 1981-1983

333 South Grand Avenue
Bunker Hill, Los Angeles, CA 90071-1504

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map

Maguire Partners and the Crocker Bank collaborated on financing this office complex. consisting of two trapezoidal towers that stood on the highest point of the Bunker Hill Neighborhood in Downtown Los Angeles, CA, close by to the city's cultural heart. The Los Angeles Office of Skidmore Owings and Merrill designed the development in the late 1970s. The Crocker Bank originally occupied the taller, 55-story skyscraper that contained 1.2 million square feet, while the accounting firm of KPMG was the main tenant of the smaller, 45-story building. (Wells Fargo Bank and Crocker Bank merged in 02/1986, causing the renaming of the Crocker Tower to the Wells Fargo Tower.) A 3-story, glass-enclosed atrium linked the two towers, enclosing a garden designed by the San Francisco landscape architect Lawrence Halprin. The complex also contained the Wells Fargo Museum, one of a number operated by the bank to educate the public about the company's long history as both a messenger company and bank.

PCAD id: 9970