AKA: 629 J Street Building, Downtown, Sacramento, CA

Structure Type: built works - commercial buildings - banks (buildings)

Designers: Polk, Willis, and Company (firm); Starks and Flanders, Architects (firm); Edward Francis Flanders (architect); Willis Jefferson Polk (architect); Leonard Frank Starks (architect)

Dates: constructed 1911-1912

5 stories

629 J Street
Downtown, Sacramento, CA 95814

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map


Founded by an early CA merchant-turned-banker Darius Ogden Mills (1825-1910), the bank had three names during its 60-year history: D.O. Mills and Company (1852-1871); the National Gold Bank of D.O. Mills and Company (1872-1882); and, finally, the National Bank of D.O. Mills and Company (1883-1912). The Mills Bank combined with the California National Bank of Sacramento in 1912, which, like many other banks, went bankrupt in 1931 during the early years of the Depression. (See Online Archive of California [OAC] and California State Library, "National Bank of D. O. Mills and Company Collection, 1847-1927," accessed 08/26/2016.)

Building Notes

The banker Ralph C. Woolworth (1841–1893) served as Clerk in the Bank of D.O. Mills and Company, c. 1870. Woolworth would later found the Bank of Crocker, Woolworth & Company with railroad millionaire Charles Crocker (1822-1888) in 1883.


Sacramento architectural firm Starks and Flanders expanded the bank building significantly in 1926-1927.

Later owners added a rooftop garden in 1992. According to the building's owners in 2016: "The bank's original boardroom has been preserved, and restored during the construction of the rooftop garden in 1992. It's intricate and sculpted 20 foot ceiling is painted in gold leaf and actually hangs from hundreds of wires and cables." (See 629 J Street, "Available," accessed 08/26/2016.)

PCAD id: 8342