Structure Type: built works - exhibition buildings - museums

Designers: Allied Works Architecture (firm); Bradley Cloepfil (architect)

Dates: [unspecified]

Ann Arbor, MI

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map

Brad Clopefil of Allied Works Architecture gained several commissions for medium-sized art museums between 2000-2006, including this $35 million expansion of Donaldson and Meier Architects' original 1907-10 building. (This earlier building was originally known as Alumni Memorial Hall when it opened in 1910, and became a museum in 1946.) As reported in 2003, the addition was planned to add 55,000-square-feet, doubling the museum's size. Allied Works' design was chosen over 15 other competitors. Ground was broken for the new museum addition, September 14, 2006, and work was set to be completed in Fall 2008. Museum operations would continue in a structure called UMMA Off/Site.

PCAD id: 6703