AKA: Salesforce Tower, South of Market, San Francisco, CA

Structure Type: built works - commercial buildings - office buildings; built works - dwellings - houses - apartment houses; built works - dwellings -public accommodations - hotels

Designers: Clark Construction Group, LLC, Building Contractors (firm); Kendall/Heaton Associates, Incorporated, Architects (firm); Pelli Clarke Pelli Architects (firm); Alfred James Clark (building contractor); Frederick W. Clarke (architect); James E. Heaton (architect); William D. Kendall Jr. (architect); Cesar Pelli (architect); Rafael Pelli (architect)

Dates: constructed 2013-2018

61 stories, total floor area: 1,600,000 sq. ft.

view all images ( of 2 shown)

415 Mission Street
South of Market, San Francisco, CA 94105

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map


The MA-based real estate investment trust Boston Properties and Houston-based Hines partnered on the construction of the 1,070-foot, 61-story multi-use office, hotel and apartment building located next to the Transbay Transit Center in San Francisco's South of Market neighborhood. New York architectural firm of Pelli Clarke Pelli--specialists in highrises--designed the building, and worked with building contractors Clark Construction and Hathaway Dinwiddie to get it erected. Boston Properties owned 95% of the $1.1 billion effort, with Hines controlling the remaining 5%. The software as a service firm, Salesforce.com (founded in 1999), leased 714,000 square feet in the building in 2014, obtaining space on floors 1, 3-30 and 61. By 2016, the company had 19,000 employees.

Building History

The Salesforce Tower opened on 01/08/2018.

Building Notes

This tower achieved a LEED Platinum rating.

The rooftop of the building was notable. According to a contemporary article: "The façade continues past the top floor to create an ethereal crown, using perforated aluminum panels, that somewhat lessens the topper’s impact. A nine-story vertical facet has been slotted inside of the building’s topper, and the empty space within will be used to potentially project lights, patterns and photos across the tower’s crown; artist Jim Campbell has proposed using LED lights to display ever-changing pieces of art. A 5.4-acre rooftop park will top off the transit center, complete with running tracks, cafes, a 1,000-seat amphitheater, children’s playground, and fully accessible grasslands. Pelli Clarke Pelli claims that the ecology of the park will mirror the surrounding Bay Area, and feature everything from oak trees to a wetland marsh." (See Jonathan Hilburg, Architects Newspaper.com. "San Francisco’s skyline-topping Salesforce Tower opens," published 01/24/2018, accessed 01/30/2018.)

According to the Clark Construction Group, LLC's web site in 2018: "This 61-story Class-A office tower is the tallest building in the western United States at 1,070 feet, rising above the adjacent transit center in downtown San Francisco. Salesforce Tower surpasses New York City’s Chrysler Building to claim the spot as the seventh tallest building in the country." (See Clark Construction Group, LLC.com, ":Salesforce Tower," accessed 01/31/2018.)

In 2018, Boston Properties, a large US-focused REIT, had offices in Boston, MA, Los Angeles, CA, San Francisco, CA, New York, NY, and Washington, DC. As of 06/2017, 31.9% of Boston Properties owned square footage existed in Boston, 26.6% in New York, 25% in Washington, DC, and 16.5% in San Francisco (See Boston Properties.com, "Overview," accessed 01/31/2018.)

PCAD id: 20401