AKA: Seattle Public Schools, Longfellow, Henry Wadsworth, School, Stevens, Seattle, WA; Seattle Public Schools, Meany, Edmond S., Middle School, Stevens, Seattle, WA

Structure Type: built works - public buildings - schools - middle schools

Designers: Houghton, Edwin W., Architect (firm); Mahlum, Edward K., Architect (firm); Maloney, John W., Architect (firm); Miller Hayashi Architects (firm); Naramore and Brady, Architects (firm); Stephen, James, Architect (firm); Clifton J. Brady (architect); Bruce Hayashi (architect); Edwin Walker Houghton (architect); Edward Kristian Mahlum (architect); John W. Maloney (architect); Bradley Miller (architect); Floyd Archibald Naramore (architect); James Stephen (architect)

Dates: constructed 1901-1902

2 stories

view all images ( of 1 shown)

301 21st Avenue East
Stevens, Seattle, WA 98112

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map


Opened originally in 1902, this school has had a long and complex scholastic and architectural history. Originally named the "20th Avenue School," it served grade school students. On 03/07/1903, it was renamed the "Henry Wadsworth Longfellow School" and remained called this until 07/21/1941, when school administrators renamed it for University of Washington History Professor, Edmond S. Meany. The Meany School changed from a grade school to a middle school in 1946. In the autumn 1996, the Seattle Public School System recategorized the Meany School from a junior high to a mathematics, sciences and arts magnet school, and some Montessori classes were tested in 1998-1999 in one classroom serving various ages. Additions and other alterations have been made to the school and its grounds across its whole history, in 1907, 1936, 1945, 1952, 1955, 1962 and 2014-2017.

Building History

After reestablishing his headquarters to Seattle (from Yakima) in 1943, architect John W. Maloney (1895-1978) obtained a string of lucrative commissions from the Seattle Public Schools by the mid-1950s and early 1960s. Maloney worked in rapid succession at the district's Meany Middle School (1955), Central Supply Center (1955-1956), Jefferson Park Junior High School (1956), Asa Mercer Junior High School (1957), additions to Franklin High School and Grover Cleveland High School (1958), and Rainier Beach Junior-Senior High School (1960). Although he built a diversified practice, The architect could rely on his close business contacts at the Seattle Public Schools, Seattle Catholic Archdiocese and local financial companies (banks and insurance companies especially) to bring in the bulk of his commissions. Maloney was a competent, if unremarkable, designer who worked in currently fashionable styles, and produced consistent results on time and on budget.

Originally a grade school, it became known as "Edmond S. Meany Junior High School" in 1946 and "Edmond S. Meany Middle School" in 1971. In 2000, it served 550 students in grades 6-8. By c. 2009, this number stood at 434, serving a primarily African-American community.

Building Notes

The school was named in honor of Edmond S. Meany (1862-1935), a renowned history professor at the University of Washington (UW) and a two-term State Representative (representing the 42nd district). Meany, during his time in the state house in the 1890s, performed a central role in relocating the University of Washington to its second Montlake site. He was also a strong booster for the UW, active in civic affairs and the sports programs.

The Seattle Muncipal Archives has three drawings of the Meany Junior High School by John W. Maloney, dated 09/24/1954.


The Meany Middle School has undergone many alterations in form and name. Seattle Public Schools architect James Stephen produced a design for an addition in 1907. The school system added land to school property in 1936, before commissioning architects Naramore and Brady to design another addition, opened in 1941. Another addition was completed in 1945 by an unknown designer. The school board further expanded the property to 5.67 acres in 1952.

The original school building erected in 1902, was demolished in 1962 to make way for a new main school designed by Bellevue architect Edward Mahlum (1909-1998).

In 2016, the Seattle Public Schools indicated that another $14.2 million renovation was occurring to the Meany Middle School. This renovation effort, begun in spring 2016 was set to conclude in summer 2017, and entailed the following: "The modernization project includes demolition of unnecessary site structures and interior spaces as necessary to reconfigure for optimum middle school use. The roof has been replaced, exterior walls updated and painted, and energy efficient windows have been installed. Earthquake retrofitting, including replacement of roof diaphragm, tying roof structure to supporting walls and installing lateral bracing systems have been completed, as well as the renovation of mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems. New fire alarms and sprinkler systems have been installed as well. Meany Middle School technology upgrades include building-wide wi-fi and data network systems. Interior finishes have included work such as replacing floor and ceiling finishes, and complete interior painting, along with new furniture, fixtures and equipment. ADA accessibility issues such as wheelchair access, restroom sizes and accessible fixtures have been installed." (See Seattle Public Schools, "Meany Middle School Updates," accessed 11/22/2016.)

PCAD id: 18959