AKA: Puget Mill Company, Puget Hotel, Port Gamble, WA

Structure Type: built works - dwellings -public accommodations - hotels

Designers: Bebb and Mendel, Architects (firm); Charles Herbert Bebb ; Louis Leonard Mendel Sr. (architect)

Dates: constructed 1907, demolished 1963

3 stories

view all images ( of 2 shown)

Port Gamble, WA

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map


The Seattle architectural firm of Bebb and Mendel designed several buildings for the Puget Mill Company, a subsidiary of the San Francisco lumber firm of Pope and Talbot. Puget Mill owned the company town of Port Gamble, and Bebb and Mendel created plans for the Hotel Puget, stables for horses and carriages and the Hotel Puget Annex, a boarding house for long-term, low-income renters. The hotel contained the town's only restuarant and tavern; as Port Gamble was a dry municipality, the tavern was the only drinking establishment in town.

Building Notes

In his essay on the history of Port Gamble, David Wilma wrote of the Puget Hotel: "The largest structure, aside from the mill was the Puget Hotel built in 1907 on the bluff overlooking Hood Canal. The hotel was intended for tourists and to house visiting company officials. An annex had rooms for single workers. The hotel was operated as a concession and fell outside the company restrictions on gambling and alcohol. As a result, the saloon and small games flourished." (See David Wilma, "Port Gamble -- Thumbnail History," HistoryLink.org, August 07, 2003,Accessed 09/04/2013.)


The Puget Hotel sustained significant damage during the Columbus Day Storm of 10/12/1962, and closed on 12/22/1962. It was demolished soon thereafter, c. 1963. The storm was considered to have been the twentieth century's most powerful in the Pacific Northwest.

PCAD id: 18666