AKA: Native Sons of the Golden West (NSGW), Parlor #1, San Francisco, CA

Structure Type: built works - commercial buildings - office buildings; built works - recreation areas and structures

Designers: Lutgens, A.C., Architect (firm); Adolph C. Lutgens (architect)

Dates: constructed 1895-1896, demolished 1906

5 stories

The Native Sons of the Golden West (NSGW), a nativist fraternal organization started in CA in 1875, built this five-story "parlor" on the former site of Temple Obahai Shalome at 414 Mason Street in San Francisco, CA, in 1895-1896. Architect A.C. Lutgens won a building competition sponsored by the NSGW, a commission costing $82,000 for a Class C building. According to a NSGW document, the building had "...a large assembly hall, the offices of the Grand Secretary, the Library and its Reading Room and seven lodge rooms." In 1896, a William Keith painting, "The Heritage of the Native Sons," was donated to the NSGW Parlor; the painted illustrated a fecund valley landscape, but was lost in the Great Fire of 04/19/1906.

The NSGW paid the Congregation Obahai Shalome $42,000 to obtain its site.

Demolished. This fraternal organization building burned in the Great San Francisco Fire of 04/19/1906.

PCAD id: 15540