AKA: Odd Fellows Building Project, Downtown, Los Angeles, CA

Structure Type: built works - recreation areas and structures

Designers: Morgan, Walls and Morgan, Associated Architects and Engineers (firm); Octavius Weller Morgan Sr. (architect); Octavius Morgan (architect); John A. Walls (architect)

Dates: constructed 1913

3 stories

Flower Street and 12th Street
Los Angeles, CA 90015

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Northwest corner of Flower Street and 12th Street


Morgan, Walls and Morgan's plans for this consolidated assembly hall to accommodate five lodges of the International Order of Odd Fellows (IOOF), projected for the northwest corner of 12th Street and Flower Street, was not built. It did not appear in the Baist Real Estate Map of 1921, (plates 8 or 9). The area selected for the IOOF Hall had many churches and two nearby lodge halls, one a large Scottish Rite Cathedral on Hope Street near 10th and the other a fraternal hall at Lincoln Street and Figueroa Street according to this 1921 Baist map.

Building History

In early 1913, Morgan, Walls and Morgan worked on the design of a single downtown temple that could accommodate five IOOF Halls operating in the vicinity of Downtown Los Angeles, CA. This grand design for a large, three-story building remained unbuilt. (See Southwest Contractor and Manufacturer, 02/15/1913, p. 12, cols. 1-2.)

An article in the American Architect of 05/14/1913 stated consistent information: "Los Angeles.--Working plans are being completed for the early erection of an imposing fraternal temple for five local lodges of Odd Fellows at the corner of 12th and Fowler [sic] Sts. The building will represent an outlay of $150,000." (See ""Building News: California" American Architect, 05/14/1913, p. 12.)

Octavius Weller Morgan, Sr., and Jr., and John A. Walls designed and supervised the construction of several buildings for the IOOF, including an Azusa Hall (c. 1908), the Lincon Hieghts Lodge (c. 1912), a mausoleum in the Odd Fellows East Los Angeles Cemetery (c. 1921), a hall at Washington Boulevard and Oak Street (c. 1923), a new Van Nuys lodge (c. 1924), and the remodleing of a Watts lodge (c. 1933),

PCAD id: 14106