AKA: Washington Iron Works Building, Pioneer Square, Seattle, WA; Washington Shoe Company Building, Pioneer Square, Seattle, WA

Structure Type: built works - industrial buildings - factories

Designers: Blackwell and Baker, Architects (firm); Boone and Willcox, Architects (firm); Ginnold, Harold, H., Architect (firm); Olson Sundberg Kundig Allen (OSKA) (firm); Frank Lidstone Baker (architect); James Eustace Blackwell (architect); William Ely Boone (architect); Harold Horatio Ginnold (architect); William H. Willcox (architect)

Dates: constructed 1891-1892

6 stories, total floor area: 95,760 sq. ft.

view all images ( of 1 shown)

400 Occidental Avenue South
Pioneer Square, Seattle, WA 98104-2836

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map
Southeast corner of Occidental Avenue South and Jackson Street.

Construction of the J.M. Frink Building happened in two main phases, 1891-1892 and 1912. Seattle architectural firm, Boone and Wilcox, designed the initial 4-floor building for John M. Frink's Washington Iron Works. Other Seattle architects, Blackwell and Baker, added two additional floors in 1912, when the building served as the headquarters for the Washington Shoe Company (which began in 1891); Washington Shoe stayed in the building for many years, moving to a new warehouse facility in Kent, WA, in 03/2003.

In 1901, A.E. MacCulsky and Company, a wholesale grocery concern, operated at 410 Occidental Avenue South, in this building. The Seattle Times reported in a timeline of 1914 that the "Washington Iron Works, large new Seattle concern, compelled to double capacity of plant by rush of business." (See "Seattle and State Advance During Year 1914," Seattle Times, 01/03/1915, p. 24.) The renowned architecture firm of Olson Sundberg Kundig Allen had offices on the top floor of the Washington Shoe Company Building, c. 2008. King County's iMap service indicated that the Washington Shoe Company Building had been erected in 1900. The county noted that it occupied a 14,985-square-foot lot and contained 95,760 gross square feet, 71,500 net.

A new Art Deco facade was applied to the first floor in the 1920s or 1930s, it is unclear as to when. Harold H. Ginnold did this alteration for the Detroit Investment Company.