AKA: Jobs, Steven P., House, Woodside, CA

Structure Type: built works - dwellings - houses

Designers: Smith, George Washington, Architect (firm); Wurster, William W., Architect (firm); George Washington Smith (architect); William Wilson Wurster (architect)

Dates: constructed 1925, demolished 2011

2 stories, total floor area: 17,000 sq. ft.

view all images ( of 1 shown)

400 Mountain Home Road
Woodside, CA 94062-2597

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map
Robles Road at 400 Mountain Home Road;

Building History

The house was designed by the noted Santa Barbara architect George Washington Smith (1876-1930) for the copper magnate, Colonel Daniel Cowan Jackling (1869-1956). Jackling, a mining engineer who had graduated from the Missouri School of Mines in Rolla, MO, pioneered the industrial processes that could make open-pit mining of low-grade (porphyry) copper profitable. He, along with Enos A. Wall (1838-1920), was an organizer of the Utah Copper Company, which owned the Bingham Canyon Mine, in the Oquirrh Mountains of UT. The immense, open-pit Bingham Canyon Mine, first worked in 1863, produced large supplies of copper ore after 1903, utilizing Jackling's production innovations with steam shovels and trains. With his windfall from copper, Jackling retired to the comfortable, bucolic suburb of Woodside, CA, in the foothills of the Santa Cruz Mountains. As originally composed, his Woodside residence contained 30 rooms, with 14 bedrooms and 13 1/2 bathrooms. It occupied, in 2011, six acres of wooded land.


Additions, alterations by William W. Wurster, early 1930s;


Apple Corporation Co-founder Steve Jobs (1955-2011), who had owned the Jackling House since 1984, chose to demolish this rare example of George Washington Smith's architecture in Northern California. He lived in it from 1984-1994, then rented for a time. It had remained vacant (and apparently unmaintained) since 2000. Jobs first petitioned the Town of Woodside for a demolition permit in 2004, but this stimulated concern among preservationists who formed a group "Uphold Our Heritage" to resist the destruction. After a long legal battle with "Uphold Our Heritage," Jobs obtained a demolition permit and almost immediately, on 02/14/2011, began tearing the dwelling down.

PCAD id: 1218