Structure Type: built works - public buildings - schools - elementary schools

Designers: Bassetti, Morse and Aitken, Architects (firm); William Aitken (architect/engineer); Frederick Forde Bassetti (architect); John Moore Morse (architect)

Dates: constructed 1953-1954

Mercer Island, WA

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map

Building History

Mercer Island's local newspaper, the Mercer Island Reporter, covered the Lakeview School's opening in 1954. It described the new complex: "The first stage of construction, completed in 1954, includes ten classrooms and a library in one building, offices and multipurpose room and kitchen in a second building, boiler room, janitor and electric room in a third building, and a large paved, covered play area. Also included are extensive areas for play, three parking areas, and a cleared playfield. Construction is steel frame throughout with wood plank roofs, masonry walls, aluminum sash and asphalt tile floors. Lighting is both incandescent and fluorescent, and heating is a split system of hot water radiant and convectors. There is mechanical ventilation in all areas with the exception of the offices. The building are painted in gay various colors inside and out, and the Architects have furnished complete plans for planting the areas adjacent to buildings; plant materials are predominantly native. Future construction will comprise another similar classroom building and a second covered play area to bring the total enrollment to six hundred students." (See "Mercer Island's New Lakeview School," Mercer Island Reporter, 05/26/1954, p. 5.)

Building Notes

The American Institute of Architects gave the Lakeview School, Mercer Island, WA, an Award of Merit 1954 for Schools K-12. It was featured on the front cover of the Pacific Architect and Builder, 07/1954. The school was also mentioned in The School Executive, vol. 74, 1955, p. 64 as an honorable mention winner in another architectural competition.

Images of the Lakeview Elementary School are included in Photo Collection #191, Box #3, American Institute of Architects Photograph Collection, 1943-1976 held in the University of Washington Libraries, Department of Special Collections, Seattle, WA.

PCAD id: 11422