AKA: Stock Exchange Club Building, San Francisco, CA; City Club of San Francisco, Clubhouse, San Francisco, CA

Structure Type: built works - recreation areas and structures

Designers: Goodman, Michael Architect (firm); Miller and Pflueger, Architects (firm); Michael Arthur Goodman Sr. (architect); James Rupert Miller (architect); Timothy Ludwig Pflueger (architect)

Dates: constructed 1930

11 stories

155 Sansome Street
Financial District, San Francisco, CA 94104-3604

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map

Building History

The distinguished San Francisco architectural firm of Miller and Pflueger designed this eleven-story office building in 1930. It originally housed brokerage offices for those who worked on the floor of the San Francisco Stock Exchange located next door at 301 Pine Street. It also accomodated the Pacific Stock Exchange Lunch Club between 1930 and 1987. The Berkeley architect Michael Goodman, Sr., (1903-1991) also a Professor of Architecture at the University of California, designed the interiors of the Stock Exchange Club on the tenth and eleventh floors.

In 1988. the City Club of San Francisco took over the Pacific Stock Exchange Lunch Club spaces.

Building Notes

Exterior sculpture was done by artist Ralph Stackpole (1895-1973), done in a Machine Age Classical style. The New York-base design store, W. and J. Sloane Company, provided the furniture. W. and J. Sloane had, since the last quarter of the 19th century, maintained a successful branch store in San Francisco.


The tenth and eleventh floors were renovated in 1988 for the City Club of San Francisco, which moved into the building at that time.

PCAD id: 1023