view all images ( of 2 shown)

Male, born 1866-07-12, died 1939-06-30

Associated with the firms network

Aldrich and Hunt, Building Contractors; Aldrich, C.R., Architect

Professional History


According to the Biennial Report of the Board of Regents of the University of Minnesota (1893), (p. 81), its School of Agriculture paid him $279.50 for architectural services during 1891-1892. (See Seventh Biennial Report of the Board of Regents of the University of Minnesota to the Governor for the Fiscal Years 1891 and 1892, Ending July 31st, [Minneapolis: Harrison and Smith, State Printers, 1892]., p. 81.) Aldrich designed a number of significant buildings in the Minneapolis-Saint Paul area in the 1890s and early 1900s, including the C.R. Aldrich House, Saint Anthony Park, Minneapolis, MN, (1895), University of Minnesota Armory, (15 Church Street SE), Minneapolis, MN, (1895-1896), Dr. M.H. Reynolds House, (Blake Avenue and Langford Park West),Saint Anthony Park, Minneapolis, MN (1900), University of Minnesota Physics Building, (renamed Jones Hall in 1931), Minneapolis, MN, (1900-1901), Saint John's University Gymnasium (aka "Guild Hall," Collegeville, MN, (1901), Independent Order of Odd Fellows (IOOF) Hall, Saint Paul, MN, (1902), University of Minnesota State Farm Chemical Laboratory, Saint Paul, MN, (1902), Thief River Falls High School, Thief River Falls, MN, (1902) and Minneapolis Public Library, John S. Pillsbury Branch, (in use 1904 until 1967), Minneapolis, MN, (1902-1904). (For more on the UM State Farm Chemical Lab and the Thief River Falls High School, see "Construction and Contract News," The Improvement Bulletin, vol. XXV, no. 20, 04/12/1902, p. 14.)

In addition to these major works, Aldrich was also responsible for the 2343 Carter Avenue House, Saint Paul, MN (1894) and the 1349-1351 Nicollet Avenue Flats Addition, Minneapolis, MN, (1901). (For the latter, see "This Week's Building Permits," Minneapolis Journal, 08/10/1901, p. 10.)

Aldrich also may have designed an unbuilt commission, the S.H. Bakken Store Project, Benson, MN (1900). (See "Official Calls for Sealed Proposals," The Improvement Bulletin, vol. XXII, no. 6, 07/07/1900, p. 22.) Bakken operated a restaurant on Pacific Avenue in Benson, MN, at this time.

Of the UM Armory, the Federal Writers' Project, The WPA Guide to Minnesota: The North Star State, Armory, stated, "Most of these functions have been taken over by newer buildings, but the Armory remains--a solid, fort-like landmark of weathered brick in the growing maze of new units. Its architect, charles R. Aldrich, designed it to resemble a Norman castle." (See Federal Writers' Project, and Recorded Books, Inc. The WPA Guide to Minnesota: The North Star State. San Antonio: Trinity University Press, 2013. Web, p. 205.)

In 1901, the State of Minnesota Superintendent of Public Instruction published a bulletin on school architecture, "...for the purposed of giving information to trustees in rural school districts regarding the proper and most approved methods of constructing, heating, ventilating and equipping one and two-room schoolhouses. The bulletin was illustrated by cuts, showing the floor plans and elevations, from which a good carpenter might construct a schoolhouse with a view both to providing sanitary conditions and conforming to the architectural designs. Sevral of the illustrations used were made from plates borrowed from the state superintendent of Michigan, and eight were made from drawings by the architect Charles R. Aldrich, and were made especially for this publication. The department supplemented this work by employing Architect Charles R. Aldrich to draw about thirty-five sets of plans and specifications for the construction of schoolhouses, and these plans were loaned, free of charge, to school district officers contemplating the construction of schoolhouse who applied for them." (See Executive Documents of the State of Minnesota for the Fiscal Year Ending July 31, 1900, Vol. III, [Saint Paul, MN: Pioneer Press, 1901] p. 486. See also "For the Rural Schools," Saint Paul Globe, 04/12/1900, p. 2)

Charles R. Aldrich developed a busy practice in central Minnesota, and it remains unclear why he left it in 1905 to work as a draftsman in Seattle.

Architect, Trustee Company, Seattle, WA, c. 1905-1910; Principal, C.R. Aldrich, Architect, Seattle, WA, c. 1910-1911. Partner, Aldrich and Hunt, Architects, Seattle, WA, c. 1911-1914.


Instructor of Drawing and Manual Training, University of Minnesota, School of Agriculture, c. 1888-1904.

Member, American Institute of Architects, Washington Chapter, 1910-1911;



B.S., Mechanical Engineering, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, c. 1885-1888. He followed a curriculum in architecture and mechanical engineering.



Born in Utica, MI, just after the Civil War, Charles R. Aldrich relocated to Minnesota with his family by 1885. He lived and worked in Minneapolis for about twenty years, from 1885 until 1905, when he relocated to Seattle.

A Charles R. Aldrich, was listed in the Seattle, Washington, City Directory, 1905, (p. 173) as a draftsman. He resided at 1250 16th Avenue North at the time.

Biographical Notes

Prior to 10/17/2016, PCAD had erroneously referred to Aldrich as "Charles Rolland Aldrich." Thank you to Noreen Jacky for spotting this mistake.

PCAD id: 2544