AKA: Camp Fire Offices, Maple Leaf, Seattle, WA

Structure Type: built works - public buildings - hospitals

Designers: Naramore, Bain, Brady, and Johanson, (NBBJ) (firm); William James Bain Jr. (architect); William James Bain Sr. (architect); Clifton J. Brady (architect); Perry Bertil Johanson (architect); Floyd Archibald Naramore (architect); Paul David Richardson (architect)

Dates: constructed 1924

NE 85th Street and 15th Avenue NE
Seattle, WA 98115

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map

This was an early ostepathic hospital in Seattle, WA, founded by Dr. William E. Waldo, that caused a minor controversy when a developer wanted to tear it down in 06/2007. The hospital stood on a 1.6 acre wooded lot. Some neighbors wanted to preserve the building and the trees saying that Waldo was an important local pioneer. Camp Fire USA, the scouting organization owned the former hospital from 1967-2007.

The original hospital wing was designed in a very spare version of the Georgian Revival Style. The hopital had to be located outside Seattle's city limits, as the local medical community did not recognize osteopathy as a legitimate medical practice.

In 1959, the Seattle architectural firm, NBBJ, designed a modern, International Style addition for the hospital's northern end.

The Waldo Hospital was threatened by demolition when Prescott Development sought to tear it down to build housing on the wooded site. Efforts to landmark the building before the Seattle Landmarks Board failed in 2007.

PCAD id: 8998