AKA: Tanglewood, Montecito, CA; Walska, Ganna, House, Montecito, CA

Structure Type: built works - dwellings - houses

Designers: De Forest, Lockwood, Landscape Architect (firm); Johnson, Reginald D., Architect (firm); Smith, George Washington, Architect (firm); Lockwood de Forest III (landscape architect); Reginald Davis Johnson (architect); George Washington Smith (architect)

Dates: constructed 1919

Montecito, CA

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map

Building History

E. Palmer and Mary Gavit purchased this property in 1916 and commissioned the Los Angeles architect Reginald D. Johnson (1882-1952) to design their house, "Tanglewood," on the grounds off of Sycamore Canyon Road. In the 1920s, the Santa Barbara architect George Washington Smith (1876-1930) supervised a renovation of the residence and produced plans for additional buildings on the estate.

The Polish émigré, Ganna Walska, developed the well-known sub-tropical gardens on what she called "Lotusland." In the beginning, she retained the Santa Barbara landscape architect, Lockwood De Forest, but she later designed much of the gardens herself. (Information from conversation with Prof. David Streatfield, University of Washington, Seattle, 02/12/2007.)

PCAD id: 7948