AKA: Curtin, Leonora Muse, House, Pasadena, CA; Paloheimo, Y.A. and Leonora Curtin, House, Pasadena, CA

Structure Type: built works - dwellings - houses

Designers: Farquhar, Robert D., Architect (firm); Marston, Sylvanus B., Architect (firm); Robert David Farquhar (architect); Sylvanus Boardman Marston (architect)

Dates: constructed 1905-1906

470 West Walnut Street
Pasadena, CA 91103-3562

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map

Robert D. Farquhar designed the house for the socialites Adalbert and Eva Scott Fenyes in 1906; this was her second marriage. Adalbert Fenyes was an enotmologist, known for his collection of beetles. His wife, Eva Fenyes was a New York socialite and, when she came to California, a respected plein air painter. The couple built an excellent collection of Early California paintings. Eva Fenyes created an intellectual salon and became well-known for hosting parties at this house on Pasadena's Millionaire's Row and at their earlier house on the northwest corner of Orange Grove Boulevard and Ellis Street. This house became the Finnish Consulate in Southern California between 1947-1964. The family donated the dwelling and its 2.1 acres of land to the Pasadena Museum of History in 1970 for use as its headquarters.

Sylvanus P. Marston designed an addition for the Fenyes House in 1911.

Pasadena Historical Landmark (09/05/85 ): ID n/a

PCAD id: 6873