AKA: University of Washington, Seattle (UW), Miller, William Winlock, Jr., Hall, Seattle, WA

Structure Type: built works - public buildings - schools - university buildings

Designers: Bebb and Gould, Architects (firm); Charles Herbert Bebb ; Carl Freylinghausen Gould Sr. (architect); Alonzo Victor Lewis (sculptor)

Dates: constructed 1922-1923

3 stories

view all images ( of 1 shown)

Seattle , WA

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map

Building History

Originally called "Education Hall," the building was renamed to honor the Miller Family. William W. Miller, Jr., served as a long-time Regent for the University of Washington from 1913-1957, and Chairman of the Buildings and Grounds Committee. Miller descended from a pioneer family in the Pacific Northwest, his father, William Winlock Miller, Sr., being an early merchant and public official in Washington. The College of Education was the main tenant of this building. Quarters for the University President and other administration activities were also located in Miller Hall. As it housed important university documents, the construction was fireproof, with the frame, floors, and roof slabs constructed of reinforced concrete.

Building Notes

The building measured 229 feet long and 70 feet wide. The building includes figures designed by the sculptor Alonzo Victor Lewis (1886-1946). Lewis also sculpted figures visible on nearby Savery Hall (1917-1920). Drawings and photos of Education Hall at UW were shown at the International Exposition of Architecture and Allied Arts, New York, NY. 04/20/1925-05/02/1925.

PCAD id: 6657