Structure Type: built works - industrial buildings - power plants

Designers: Gilbreth, Frank B., Building Contractor (firm); Frank Bunker Gilbreth Sr. (building contractor); Charles A. Stone (electrical engineer); Edwin S. Webster (electrical engineer)

Dates: constructed 1906

Seattle, WA

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map

The Boston engineering firm of Stone and Webster designed this reinforced-concrete industrial building operated by the utility, the Seattle Electric Company. The former brick layer and later efficiency engineer, Frank B. Gilbreth (1868-1924), supervised the construction process. The municipal utility, Seattle City Light, bought the plant in 1951 and operated it until 1972.

The Seattle Electric Company's Georgetown Steam Plant was named a National Historic Landmark in 07/05/1984. It also was named a National Historic Mechanical Engineering Landmark by the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME).

Efforts to renovate the Georgetown Steam Plant and to reuse it began in 04/1995.

National Register of Historic Places (August 1, 1978): 78002755 NRHP Images (pdf) NHRP Registration Form (pdf)

Washington Heritage Register: ID n/a

Seattle Historic Landmark: ID n/a

PCAD id: 5401