AKA: Stanford University, Main Quadrangle, Entryway Arch, Stanford, CA

Structure Type: built works - public buildings - schools - university buildings

Designers: Hodges, Charles E., Architect (firm); Shepley, Rutan, and Coolidge, Architects (firm); Charles Allerton Coolidge Sr. (architect); John Evans (architectural designer); Charles E. Hodges ; Charles Hercules Rutan (architect); George Foster Shepley Sr. (architect)

Dates: [unspecified]

view all images ( of 1 shown)

Stanford, CA

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map

Much of the body of the arch was erected in 1899, while the sculptural frieze of Leland and Jane Stanford crossing Sierra Nevada Mountains at the top was not done until 1902. John Evans, a designer in Charles Coolidge's Office, completed the frieze's design. Charles Hodges served as the arch's architect. Although it looked massive and immoveable, the arch was hollow, sheathed only in a skin of unreinforced masonry. Stairways at either end of the structure led up to an observation deck on the roof.

Destroyed by the April 18, 1906 San Francisco Earthquake;

PCAD id: 5117