AKA: Butler Hotel, Pioneer Square, Seattle, WA; Butler Garage, Pioneer Square, Seattle, WA

Structure Type: built works - commercial buildings - office buildings; built works - infrastructure

Designers: Parkinson and Evers, Architects (firm); Cecil Louis Calvert Evers (architect); John Parkinson (architect)

Dates: constructed 1889-1890

12 stories, total floor area: 149,040 sq. ft.

605 2nd Avenue
Pioneer Square, Seattle, WA 98104

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map
Northwest corner of 2nd Avenue and James Street.

Building History

The first Butler Building, a small wood-frame commercial block, burned in the Seattle Fire of 06/06/1889. Following this, Seattle businessmen Guy C. Phinney and Daniel C. Jones partnered to finance the new Butler Building #2, plans for which were announced in 07/1889. The office building was converted to use as a hotel in 1894; the Butler Hotel hosted a number of American Presidents, including Grover Cleveland, William McKinley, and Theodore Roosevelt as well as many newly-rich miners from the Alaskan Gold Fields. In 1901, the department store owner Henry C. Southwick (born 01/1857 in NY), merchant Nathan Eckstein (born 01/1873 in Germany) and other professionals resided at the Butler. For at least a short period in 06/1903, the Butler Hotel, under the management of Hamm and Schmitz, went out of business. During Prohibition, the Rose Room of the Butler Hotel gained notoriety for its flouting of alcohol laws. It closed for one year between 1929-1930. The Butler Hotel survived until 09/05/1933, when the Depression undermined its financial stability. Hotel property was sold at auction on 01/15/1934.

Building Notes

Located on the northwest corner of 2nd Avenue and James Street, the Butler Building had a taxable value of $12,200,000 in 2010, and was owned by Walton Street Capital, L L C, of Chicago, IL.

Alteration

Two more stories were added to the original five-story building in 1903. In the late 1930s, the upper 5 floors were removed and the rest of the building was remodeled into a garage; only the first two stories faced with rusticated ashlar were retained. Remodeling of the storefronts and reconstruction of the garage occurred in 2000 under the ownership of Sam Israel's Samis Foundation, a major Downtown Seattle landowner. Samis owned the Butler Garage between 11/11/1997 and 07/19/2001, and in 1998 indicated to the press that it was undertaking renovations in the 14 buildings it owned in Pioneer Square. A significant renovation was done on the Smith Tower, a Samis property, in 1998, and the reconstruction of the Butler Garage was conceived to serve as parking for its neighbor. According to the King County, the current garage configuration has 12 stories.