Structure Type: built works - recreation areas and structures

Designers: Allison and Allison, Architects (firm); David Clark Allison (architect); James Edward Allison (architect)

Dates: constructed 1920-1922, demolished 1967

7 stories

view all images ( of 1 shown)

614 South Hope Street
Downtown, Los Angeles, CA 90071

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map
The University Club stood at 614-622 South Hope Street in 1923.

Building History

Allison and Allison prepared plans for the University Club in Los Angeles, CA, in 04/1920. This was the second home of this club, open to college graduates and select others who shared their "college ideals." The club first met in Al Levy's Restaurant in its earliest days, and later occupied accommodations on the second and third floors of the three-story building at 349 South Hill Street between 1905-1910; the second facility was open from 1910-1922, on the top floor of the consolidated Realty Building at 6th Street and Hill Street. The third, Allison and Allison-designed clubhouse opened formally on 07/06/1922.

Building Notes

In 1924, the University Club of Los Angeles had 1,700 members. It had been founded in 1898 at the home of Russ Avery, by four men, Avery, Leslie R. Hewitt, John D. Gish, and James B. Scott. Avery, Hewitt and Gish attended the University of California, Berkeley, and Scott, Harvard. The group formally incorporated on 03/12/1903 with 84 members. In its early years, it invited noted scholars to lecture before the group, including the astronomer George Ellery Hale (1868-1938) and the philologist and President of the University of California, Benjamin Ide Wheeler (1854-1927).

Demolition

The Lincoln Savings and Loan Association, later ruined by Charles Keating, bought the University Club #3 in 1964. The deal was that the University Club would lease the top three floors of the Lincoln Savings and Loan's new tower once it was completed in 1967. This 1922 landmark would then be obtained by Lincoln and demolished during the summer of 1967. (See "Old University Club Will Be Demolished," Los Angeles Times, 03/26/1967 pt. O, p. 15.) It was to be a parking lot until Lincoln could figure out how to develop it.

PCAD id: 4486