AKA: University of Washington, Seattle (UW), Bagley Hall #1; University of Washington (UW), Seattle, Architecture Building #2

Structure Type: built works - exhibition buildings - exposition buildings

Designers: Hacker, Thomas, Architect, Incorporated (firm); Hermanson, Jerry, Company (firm); Howard and Galloway, Architects and Engineers (firm); Mortenson, M.A., Construction Company (firm); John Debo Galloway (structural engineer); Thomas Hacker (architect); John Galen Howard (architect); Morton A. Mortenson Sr. (building contractor); Morton A. Mortenson Jr. (building contractor/civil engineer)

Dates: constructed 1908-1909

2 stories

view all images ( of 1 shown)

West Stevens Way
University of Washington Campus, Seattle, WA 98195

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Southwest corner West Stevens Way and Grant Place

The State of Washington Legislature appropriated over $200,000 to erect this facility, one of the few Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition (AYPE) buildings that was to remain on campus after the fair. The notable San Francisco architectural firm of Howard and Galloway, (the Supervising Architects of the fair), designed this two-floor, brick-faced, Neoclassical pavilion. Following the AYPE, the University of Washington (UW) has located various departments here. From 1910 to the Spring 1937, the UW called it "Bagley Hall." Bagley Hall housed the Departments of Chemistry and Pharmacy, their labs and classrooms. (This was the first building to have been called "Bagley Hall" on the UW campus; another Bagley Hall was built in 1935-1937 for the Chemistry Department nearer to the center of campus, across from Drumheller Fountain.) Bagley was converted to accommodate the Physiology Department in the 1930s. By 1937, two departments shared the building then rechristened "Physiology Hall." Physiology used the first floor and basement, Architecture, the second floor. The second floor's former gallery spaces, with their skylit windows, functioned well for drawing studios. The Department of Architecture was given the entire space by the Fall of 1950, when it was again renamed, this time to "Architecture Hall."

Remodeling to the Fine Arts Building (or "Palace" as it was called by some in 1909) occurred after the 1909 fair, in 1937 and in 1949; the Department of Architecture remodeled the space in 1949 and 1962; the faculty in the department oversaw this latter $104,000 renovation project. In 1988, to comply with ADA requirements, the university installed an elevator into the Architecture Building. A major seismic upgrade and renovation project occurred in 2006-2007, supervised by Seattle architects, Thomas Hacker, Architect, Incorporated (THA); Mortenson was the General Contractor, while Hermanson was the Mechanical Engineer on the project. During the course of the renovation, portions of the Department of Architecture and Construction Management relocated to Condon Hall, then used as a "surge" building on campus. In addition to structural improvements, the $25 million effort included renovation of faculty offices for the Departments of Architecture and Construction Management and architecture studios, Because their new offices were smaller than the existing UW average, faculty were allowed to select their own furniture. Second floor studios were repainted and reappointed, wiping away generations of graffiti from the walls. A new coffee shop was included on the second floor and three classrooms were reconfigured from an existing two. The building formally reopened on 08/01/2007 with work completed for $1 million under budget.

PCAD id: 4099