Structure Type: built works - commercial buildings - restaurants

Designers: Parkinson, John, Architect (firm); John Parkinson (architect)

Dates: constructed 1883-1884

110 West 1st Street
Downtown, Los Angeles, CA United States 90012

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map
The Natick House was located at East 1st Street and North Main Street

Building History

In 1886, Natick House billed itself as "...the most centrally located house in the city; it is opposite the Grand Opera House, only half a block from the Post-Office, Telegraph and Telephone Offices, and but one block form the City Hall. This House has been opened for two years, and has won for itself a good reputation with the traveling public."

Building Notes

The proprietor was M.S. Rowell in c. 1886-1887; in 1899, the Bernard Estate owned Natick House. The Hart Brothers owned the Natick House in 06/1903. Located on the corner of Main Street and First Street, its entrance faced First. In 1886, Natick House was a two-story, Italianate building with glazed storefronts located on the first floor, and rooms above. Most rooms were illuminated by arched Italianate windows. Two signs just below cornice line, announced the hotel's name.

Alteration

John Parkinson undertook "extensive improvements on the property." These included installation of another story adding 75 more rooms, an elevator, and a steam-heating plant. The interior was also to be completely remodeled in 02/1899.

Demolition

The Natick House was demolished.

PCAD id: 3177