Structure Type: built works - commercial buildings - banks (buildings)

Designers: Young, Richardson, Carleton and Detlie, Architects and Engineers (firm); William Hodder Carleton (architect); John Stewart Detlie Sr. (architect); Stephen Hinley Richardson (architect); E. F. Shuck (building contractor); Arrigo Mazzucato Young (civil engineer/mechanical engineer)

Dates: constructed 1956

1 story

NE 45th Street and 25th Avenue NE
University Village, Seattle, WA 98105

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map

Overview

The Seattle architectural firm of Young, Richardson, Carleton and Detlie, Architects and Engineers, produced the design for this modern bank building located in the then-new University Village Shopping Center.

Building History

This was the second bank branch that the National Bank of Commerce opened at University Village. It had opened an earlier outlet at 3046 East 45th Street in 1954. This branch opened in University Village itself on 10/18/1956, when it held an open house in the Young, Richardson, Carleton and Detlie designed building. John H. McGraw, the grandson of a Seattle pioneer of the same name, lived in nearby Laurelhurst and served as this new branch's first manager.

In 1957, the National Bank of Commerce maintained 52 locations in WA State, with one main Seattle headquarters location (2nd Avenue and Spring Street) and twelve branches around Seattle. The Seattle branches included: Central (Westlake at Olive Way), Ballard (2054 West 56th Street), Northgate (326 Northgate Plaza), Battery Street (3rd Avenue at Battery), Stadium (University Village), University (East 45th at Brooklyn), Queen Anne (100 West Mercer Street), First South-Stacy (2265 1st Avenue South), Empire Way (Empire Way at Othello Street), Kirkland, Union Street Branch (410 Union Street) and West Seattle (4203 West Alaska Street).

Building Notes

The Seattle Times described the building at its opening: The east side of the building is all glass. The south exterior is a combination of painted concrete, travertine marble and gold-finished aluminum. The interior is finished in a gray theme, with highlights of deep blue. One waill is walnut veneer, and fixtures and furnishings have a walnut finish, with white formica tops. White fiberglass draperies, textured carpeting in blue and gray, and upholstered chairs in deep blue carry out the general theme. A combination heating and air-conditioning system is installed. The ceiling is of luminous material." (See "Bank to Open in University Village," Seattle Times, 10/14/1966, p. 38.)

PCAD id: 19902