view all images ( of 1 shown)

Male, born 1826, died 1889-10-28

Associated with the firms network

Hallock and Burton, Architects; Hallock and Company, Architects and Builders; Hallock and Day, Associated Architects


Professional History

Résumé

Partner, Hallock and Company, Architects, (partnership with building contractor William McMillan), Portland, OR, 1852-1853;

Partner, Hallock and [Lou] Day, Architects, Portland, OR, 1853-c. 1860.

Principal, A.B. Hallock, Architect, Portland, OR, 1863. In 1863-1864, Hallock had his office at 51 Front Street in Portland. (See Portland Directory for the Year 1863, [Portland, OR: S.J. McCormick, 1863], p. 59 and Portland, Oregon, City Directory, 1864, p. 47.)

Associate, Hallock and [Ellwood M.] Burton, Architects, Portland, OR, c. 1862-1870.

City Surveyor, City of Portland, Portland, OR;

Personal

Relocation

Born in Utica, NY, Hallock traveled to the Oregon Territory via the Panama Isthmus in 1849. He settled first in Oregon City, OR, working as a woodworker, before moving to Portland perhaps by 1850; the US Census of 1850 listed an "A.B. Halleck" in Portland working as a steward.

Hallock developed an important practice there during the 1850s-1860s, before his workload declined in the 1870s. In 1864, the architect resided on North 6th Street between Pine and C Streets. (See Portland, Oregon, City Directory, 1864, p. 47.)

The Pacific Coast Directory, 1867, indicated that A. B. Hallock worked at the Willamette Iron Works, Portland, as a civil engineer. Hallock also dabbled as a land surveyor and construction supervisor. In 1874, he retired to a 40-acre homestead at Bay Ocean, OR, in Tillamook County, living there until his death in 1889.

Parents

His father was Dr. A.B. Hallock.

Biographical Notes

Hallock was an influential civic leader in Portland, OR, c. 1852-1873; during this time, he served as the city's first city surveyor and as a city council member. He was responsible for Portland City Ordinance #72, "An Ordinance to Divide the City of Portland into Three Wards," passed on 03/3/1858. This ordinance stated: "The People of the City of Portland do ordain as follows: Section 1. All that portion of the City of Portland which lies to the north of the center line of Washington street, shall be the First Ward of the City. All that portion of the City which lies between the center line of Washington Street and the center line of Taylor street, shall be the Second Ward of the City. And all that portion of the City which lies to the south of the center line of Taylor street, shall be the Third Ward of the City. Section 2. That this ordinance shall take effect and be in force from and after its passage. Passed the Council March 2d, 1858." (See Portland, Oregon Directory, 1864, p. 79.)

The book, Portland's Finest, Past & Present, noted that "Governor Lafayette [sic] appointed William P. Burke, John H. Hayden and Absalom B. Hallock as the city's first police commissioners on October 21, 1870. The new board had its initial meeting on November 1 and elected Hallock as chairperson." (Governor La Fayette Grover [1823-1911] made the appointment. See Portland's Finest, Past & Present, [Paducah, KY: Turner Publishing Company, 2000], p. 18.)

Hallock also was an inventor; on 03/24/1868, Hallock and John Nation patented "...a new and useful Mode of Injecting Oil or Tallow into Steam-Cylinder Chests and Steam-Cylinders for Lubricating Purposes." (See "U.S. Patent and Trademark Office Patents, 1790-1909," Ancestry.com, Accessed 12/13/2012.) He also received US Patent #149,653 for an "Auxiliary heater for steam engines," filed 11/09/1872. Richard Ellison Ritz, in his Architects of Oregon, biographical dictionary, spelled Hallock's first name variously as "Absolom" (p. 60) and "Absolam" (p. 161). The spelling of his last name has also been spelled in documents as "Halleck." Hallock was party to a district court case--White v. Delschneider--over land title in Portland in 05/1858, and his name was spelled "Absalom B. Hallock." (See Pacific States Reports: Extra Annotated, Book 37, p. 254.)


PCAD id: 5465