view all images ( of 4 shown)

Male, born 1859-08-05

Associated with the firms network

Spalding and Umbrecht, Architects; Spalding, A. Walter, Architect; Spaulding, Russell and Heath, Architects

Professional History


Principal, A. Walter Spalding, Architect, Seattle, WA, 1900-1907; in 1903-1904, Spalding leased Room #63 in the Downs Building in Seattle. (See Spalding classified advertisement, Seattle Post-Intelligencer, 06/12/1904, p. 6.)

He moved to Room #620 in the Colman Building by 1905.

Partner, Spalding and Umbrecht, Architects, Seattle, WA, 1908-1911.

Professional Activities

Founding Member, American Institute of Architects, Washington Chapter, 1891. He remained a member until at least 1911, if not later.

President, AIA, Washington State Chapter, 1905. (See "Washington State Chapter," American Institute of Architects Quarterly Bulletin, vol. VI, no. 4, 01/1906, p. 243.)



B.S., Boston University, Boston, MA, 1881.



Spalding worked from 1881-1885 in Saint Louis, MO; he lived in the bustling city of Minneapolis, MN, from 1885-1899, before heading to Lewiston, ID, between 1899-1900. He came to Seattle, WA, in 1900 and remained here until c. 1911. In 1903, he lived at 1235 Highland Place in Seattle. The following year, he moved to 416 West Comstock Street, where he remodeled an existing house built by George and Mary Page.

PCAD id: 4933