Male, born 1888-07-31, died 1974-06-30

Associated with the firms network

Jones and Stanley, Architects and Engineers; Jones, Stanley and Theriault, Architects

Professional History


Principal, William J. Jones, Architect, Seattle, WA, 1910-1936; Jones began his architectural career with an office at 722 Warren Avenue in Seattle in 1910. He moved to 623 Queen Anne Avenue in 1911 and to 603 3rd Avenue the following year. Jones remained in Room #547 in the Central Building during 1914-1915. He maintained his practice in Room #502-503 of the Pantages Building (1916-1917).

During World War I, he served in the US Army from 11/02/1917 until 11/27/1918. (See, Source Information U.S., Department of Veterans Affairs BIRLS Death File, 1850-2010 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Operations, Inc., 2011, accessed 04/25/2017.)

After the war, he leased Room #422 in the New York Building (1920-1922) and Room #4078 in the Arcade Square Building (1922-1926). He next leased Room #621 of the Lumber Exchange Building (1927-1932). During this five-year time period, Jones shared Room #621 with Roy C. Stanley (1886-1956), with whom he would incorporate in 1937.

Partner, Jones and Stanley, Architects and Engineers, Seattle, WA, 1937-1950. Jones and Stanley occupied Room #333 in the Medical Arts Building in Seattle from 1937 until 1950.

Partner, Jones, Stanley and Theriault, Architects, Seattle, WA, 1941-1952. Jones retired from architecture c. 1952. The Seattle, Washington, City Directory, 1957, (p. 795), indicated that Jones was still working as an architect in Room #335 of the Medical Arts Building. The same was true of the 1958 directory (p. 778).

Professional Activites

Secretary, Washington State Society of Architects, 1917. (See Architect and Engineer of California, vol. XLIX, no. 2, 05/1917, p. 106.)



William J. Jones was born in 07/1888 in NY.

In 1900, he resided at 157 South Street in Utica, NY, with his parents, and four siblings. Additionally, his grandmother, Anna Brothers, (born c. 1828 in NY), lived with the family. Ten years later, the family had relocated to Seattle, WA, and lived at 722 Valley Street. All but one child lived at home at this time. (See, Source Citation Year: 1910; Census Place: Seattle Ward 3, King, Washington; Roll: T624_1659; Page: 1A; Enumeration District: 0151; FHL microfilm: 1375672, accessed 04/25/2017.)

In 1920, the Joneses lived at 7219 Ledroit Place (now Court) in a house erected in 1910. William was 31 at this time. (See, Source Citation Year: 1920; Census Place: Seattle, King, Washington; Roll: T625_1931; Page: 12A; Enumeration District: 338; Image: 525, accessed 04/25/2017.)

Jones continued to live at 7219 LeDroit Court in Seattle in 1957. (See Seattle, Washington, City Directory, 1957, p. 795.)

He died in 1974, and was buried in the family cemetery plot in the Acacia Memorial Park and Funeral Home, Lake Forest Park, WA.


His father was Millard Fillmore Jones (born c. 1848 in NY-d. 12/27/1934 in Seattle, WA), his mother, Mary Emma Brothers Jones (born c. 1852 in NY-d. 1928 in Seattle, WA). His parents had six children, five of whom were alive in 1900. Their other offspring included George Watson (born c. 08/1873 in NYd. 08/16/1938 in Seattle, WA), Mary B. (born 08/1875 in NY), Emma (bon 09/1877 in NY) and Ellen L. Jones (born c. 1888 in NY).

Millard's parents came from Wales. In 1900, he worked as a grocer in Utica, NY, Ten years later in Seattle, he operated a hardware store, and by 1920, he had retired.

Her parents were Joseph Brothers and Mary Doneley.


Jones did not marry.

Biographical Notes

SSN : 539-34-5633.


PCAD id: 4911