view all images ( of 1 shown)

Male, US, born 1883-05-08, died 1958-09-27

Associated with the firms network

Chapman and Rust, Architects; Rust and Wilson, Associated Architects; Rust, E.B., Architect; Ye Planry Building Company


Professional History

Résumé

Secretary, Ye Planry Building Company, Los Angeles, CA, 0?-09/1913;

Partner, Rust and Wilson, Associated Architects, Los Angeles, CA, 1920- . (In April 1920, Rust and Charles Lewis Wilson announced that they would associate for "some commissions.")

Partner, [Jospeh C.] Chapman and Rust, Architects, Los Angeles, CA, 1927-c.1929. (See "Joseph C. Chapman announces his association with E.B. Rust, architect, with offices in the Black Building, 523, Los Angeles," Architect and Engineer, 04/1927, p. 114.)

Principal, E.B. Rust, Architect, Los Angeles, CA, c.1929;

Education

05/08/1883?-09/27/1958?

Personal

Relocation

According to his obituary, E.B. Rust was born in the area of South Pasadena, CA, in 1883; at the time, however, neither Pasadena nor South Pasadena were yet cities, the former organizing itself as a municipality in 1886, the latter in 1888.

Rust attended both Stanford University and the University of California, Berkeley as an undergraduate. Rust was at Stanford between 1902 and 1905 where he was a member of the Beta Theta Pi Fraternity. His permanent address was listed as 622 West 18th Street in Los Angeles. (See Catalogue of Beta Theta Pi, Seventh Edition, William Raimond Baird and James T. Brown, eds., [Galesburg, IL: Mail Printing Company, 1905], p. 499.)

In the University of California Registers of 1906-1907 and 1907-1908, Rust was listed as a third-year social science student studying architecture. He resided at 2607 Hearst Avenue in Berkeley, CA. (See "Undergraduates Students," University of California Register, 1906-1907, [Berkeley: The University Press, 1907], p. 84 andUniversity of California Bulletins,3rd Series, vol. 1, no. 1,University of California, Colleges of Letters, Sciences, and Engineering, Undergraduate Departments, Letters, Social Sciences, Natural Sciences, Commerce, Agriculture, Mechanics, Mining, Civil Engineering, and Chemistry, Including the First and Second Years of the College of Medicine, 1907-1908, [Berkeley: The University Press, 1908], p. 92.)

In 1921, Rust lived in the Eagle Rock neighborhood of Los Angeles, at 274 Sierra Vista Drive. (See Stanford University Alumni Directory and Ten-Year Book (Graduates and Non-Graduates) III, 1891-1920, [Stanford: Stanford University Press, 1921], p. 446.) This volume indicated that he attended Stanford in 1902-1903.

Rust died in Los Angeles, County, CA, at the age of 75. He was buried in Resurrection Cemetery, Montebello, CA.

Parents

His parents were Clarissa Butler Blaney (born 05/24/856) and Frank Nelson Rust. Frank was the son of Horatio N. Rust and Fidelia Humphreys. They married 11/17/1880 in Princeton, NJ, before relocating to the Pasadena area. Edward was the couple's elder of two children. They also had a daughter, Josephine Blaney (Rust) (born 05/19/1890 in CA), who became Mrs. Leroy B. Sherry. Josephine survived Edward. Blaney and Rust divorced in 1907.

Spouse

E.B. Rust, Sr., married Constance Maclintock (1887-1935) on 06/20/1911 in Pasadena. She was the daughter of James Russell Maclintock and Kate Edell Stout.

He married Veronica F. Rust, who survived him.

Children

With Constance Maclintock, he had a son, Edward Butler Rust, Jr., (born 01/13/1913-died 06/09/1918). He and Veronica had a daughter, Jospehine Blaney Rust, known in 1958 as Mrs. Emil Schweitzer, who resided in Temple City, CA.

Biographical Notes

Rust's name was misspelled on some catalog cards found in the LAPL California Index as "Ruse."

There is an "Edward B. Rust" endowed position at Stanford University, the Edward B. Rust Professor of Political Science in the Graduate School of Business.

SSN: 571206645.



Associated Locations

  • Los Angeles, CA (Architect's Office)
    South Hill Street and West Fourth Street
    Los Angeles, CA 90013

    OpenStreetMap (new tab)
    Google Map (new tab)
    click to view google map
    523 Black Office Building (1927);

PCAD id: 1032