Originally accessed:
City of Seattle, Parks and Recreation Department
Essay by Don Sherwood, Engineer for Seattle Parks and Recreation Department for 22 years from 1955 to 1977; "The Old Portage Canal had been left high and dry upon the lowering of Lake Washington bythe Ship Canal and the Old Right-of-Way was 'leased' to the Park Department for development as an extension of Washington Park. But the Yacht Club had a Big Plan to develop the Old Canal route as a golf course. However, the developers of the Montlake Park Addition led the successful opposition to this plan (and the course was built across the new canal on U.W. land?). In 1929 the U. S. Bureau of Commercial Fisheries was permitted to built [sic] a laboratory on the Old Canal property adjacent to the Yacht Club. The Old Canal had never been filled in, except for Montlake Boulevard when the old bridge was removed. So in 1932 Noble Hoggson, a landscape architect, proposed creation of an aquarium built into the 'canyon' of the Old Canal adjacent to the new Fisheries laboratory. It would have occupied the site of the old locks - by then lost in the jungle of trees and undergrowth. Though highly endorsed, this plan never materialized. In 1963 a new 'Canal' was dug in the Old Right-of-Way: this one for the flow of vehicles to the new Evergreen Point floating bridge."
Associated With: