Originally accessed:
City of Seattle, Department of Neighborhoods
"This two-and-one-half story Tudor Revival and Collegiate Gothic style fraternity house was designed in 1924 by Seattle architects Bebb and Gould. Carl Gould served as both planner and architect for the University of Washington, and it is fitting that Gould designed some of the Greek Row buildings. The cladding is a mixture of stucco, half timbering, and some brick, primarily used for window surrounds and details. The Psi Upsilon chapter was established at the University of Washington in 1916. This building has been occupied by the Psi Upsilon fraternity since its construction. Despite a large addition to the rear (north) elevation, the original building is mostly intact and retains much of its original character. The north addition was designed by Harrison Overturf of Bain & Overturf, in 1955. In 1969 alterations were made to the third floor of the original building by architects Van Slyck, Callison and Nelson. Additional repairs to meet the housing code were made in 1977, and fire damage repair was undertaken in 1979. Nonstructural interior and exterior modifications were done in 1991. Most recently, AAI architecture and interiors changed the flat roof on the 1955 addition to a sloped roof, and virtually all windows have been replaced. Charles H. Bebb & Carl F. Gould became associated in 1914, offering complementary strengths, with Gould's extensive Beaux-Arts training and Bebb's management and engineering expertise. They designed over 200 projects between 1914 and 1924, and the partnership continued until Gould's death in 1939. Carl Gould founded the University of Washington Department of Architecture in 1914 and served as head of the department from 1915 until 1926. As campus architects, Bebb & Gould designed many University of Washington buildings, including the prominent Suzzallo Library (1922-1927)."