Originally accessed:
City of Seattle, Department of Neighborhoods
"The Saunders and Houghton partnership had been created in 1889, because Saunders had a backlog of work. While it was begun by Charles Saunders alone, this is supposed to be one of the first projects the firm took on soon after the partnership was formed. The building was built for William Maud and housed a hotel on its upper floors. It was built right after the Fire of 1889, although in terms of style, it seems to have much in common with some of the buildings of the subsequent wave of building during the Gold Rush. While it was built earlier than the other buildings on the same block, the Smith, Squire and Crown Hotel Buildings, it also became part of an area of the city, which thrived as a result of the Gold Rush."
Associated With: