Originally accessed:
City of Alameda, CA
"A dominant feature of the new building was a tower rising from the center front of the structure. A portion of the tower was removed in 1906 after it was damaged during the earthquake, and the 120 foot clock tower was finally removed in 1937, when structural defects made it a hazard. The building construction incorporated new techniques which were being explored at the time to prevent fire. Double floors were laid with 3/4" of mortar between them to act as a fire barrier throughout the building."