Structure Type: built works - public buildings - schools - university buildings; built works - recreation areas and structures

Designers: [unspecified]

Dates: constructed 1895

view all images ( of 4 shown)


Denny Field appeared in the Oval Plan (aka the "Fuller Plan") of 1898, suggesting that the athletic field already existed on campus at the time.

Building History

The track oval surrounding Denny Field appeared in the Fuller Plan of the University of Washington produced in 1898.

The south grandstand was completed in 1911, and the north stands were built in 1916. Handball courts were constructed in the north stands in 1917 and in 1923.

As per a 1928 University of Washington campus map, it appears that the Women's Gymnasium (later renamed Hutchinson Hall) took the place of the south grandstand, and was located just southwest of the oval track that surrounded Denny Field.

Building Notes

The University of Washington football team compiled a 59-0-4 record while playing on Denny Field between 1907 and 1917.


It appears that Denny Field's south grandstand was demolished in c. 1926 to make way for the construction of the Women's Gymnasium. The field, track, north grandstand and Old Gymnasium were removed subsequently.

In 2021, a grass field surrounded by campus buildings was still known as "Denny Field."

PCAD id: 9486