Structure Type: landscapes - parks - national parks

Designers: Gould, Carl F., Sr., Architect (firm); Carl Freylinghausen Gould Sr. (architect)

Dates: constructed 1916

1 story

view all images ( of 1 shown)

Mount Rainier National Park, WA

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map

Camp Muir was erected at 10,080 feet, a popular base camp for ascents to the top of Mount Rainier. The Mountaineers, a mountain-climbing group from Seattle, WA, helped to build the stone Guide Shelter at Camp Muir in 1916. Architect Carl F. Gould, Sr. (1873-1939), a member of the Mountaineers, designed the Guide Shelter containing 240 square feet (10 x 24). The Public Shelter at Camp Muir was bigger than the Guide Shelter, (at 300 square feet and 12 x 25 feet), and was built by the National Park Service in 1921. Daniel Hull oversaw its erection. The Public Shelter, constructed of uncoursed ashlar masonry, had a central bay set between two battered towers at each end. Roof joists of peeled logs projected through the central bay, much like the viga of Southwestern adobes. The building also had crude stone crenellations giving it the look of a fortress. The National Park Service added the Mount Rainier National Historic Landmark District to the National Register of Historic Places on 03/13/1991. This collection of buildings at Camp Muir was part of the Mt. Rainier National Park Multiple Property Submission (MPS) to the National Register.

The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) constructed two pit toilets at Camp Muir in 1936.

National Register of Historic Places (March 13, 1991): 91000176 NRHP Images (pdf) NHRP Registration Form (pdf)

PCAD id: 8765