AKA: University of Washington, Seattle (UW), Raitt, Effie I., Hall, Seattle, WA

Structure Type: built works - public buildings - schools - university buildings

Designers: Bebb and Gould, Architects (firm); Cawdrey and Vemo, Incorporated, General Contractors (firm); Charles Herbert Bebb ; James William Cawdrey (building contractor); Carl Freylinghausen Gould Sr. (architect); Nels Vernon Nelson (building contractor/carpenter); Bjarne Vemo (building contractor)

Dates: constructed 1916-1917

view all images ( of 1 shown)

Chelan Lane
University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Raitt Hall was erected on the northeast corner of UW's Liberal Arts Quad.

Overview

Home Economics Hall and Commerce Hall (1917) were the first two Gothic / Jacobethan buildings composing the Liberal Arts Quadrangle at the University of Washington (UW). These two buildings predated the remarkable Gothic Suzzallo Library, completed in 1927. All three buildings were the work of the Seattle architectural firm of Bebb and Gould, of which Carl Gould, Sr., (1873-1939) was the primary designer. The UW dropped Home Economics from its curriculum after 1980.

In 2015, the Departments of Scandinavian Languages and Literature and DX Arts occupied Raitt Hall.

Building History

Home Economics Hall opened in 04/1917, the first building of the University of Washington's magnificent Liberal Arts Quadrangle. The renowned Seattle architectural firm of Bebb and Gould produced the designs for the first buildings built in the Liberal Arts Quad, including Home Economics Hall, Commerce Hall and Philosophy Hall.

The UW, in 1946, renamed the Home Economics Building for the recently deceased Professor Effie Isobel Raitt (born 06/13/1878 in Patterson, IA-d. 12/04/1945 in Seattle, WA), who led the Department of Home Economics for over 30 years. In 1947, the adjoining Commerce-Philosophy pair were renamed "Savery Hall," in honor of Professor William Savery (1875-1945), the first Chair of the Philosophy Department.

Building Notes

The Home Economics Building was ornamented with female gargoyles performing domestic tasks, designed by Gould. In 1917, the Faculty Women's Club was located in Home Economics Hall. (See "Woman Educator Will Speak Here," Seattle Times, 05/19/1917, p. 2.)

Alteration

The University of Washington remodeled Raitt Hall in 1956-1957. It is likely this work was done by the Seattle general contractor Cawdrey and Vemo. Nels Nelson of Cawdrey and Vemo worked as the superintendent on this remodeling and renovation project. Architectural historian Cathy Wickwire has written of this 1956-957 project: "Since their construction more than eighty years ago, the three buildings have each undergone extensive interior renovations and remodelings. However, the exteriors have remained largely intact with the exception of window replacements and the construction of a small addition on the rear of Raitt Hall. In December of 1954, the Regents authorized a $309,100 remodel of Raitt (Home Economics) Hall but did not award contracts for the work until December of the following year. By this time, the total cost of the project was expected to be $439,000, which included replacement of the heating, plumbing, ventilating, and electrical systems and modernization of the Commons cafeteria, classrooms and laboratories. By January of 1957, the remodeling of Raitt Hall was nearly completed and the building partially reoccupied." (See Cathy Wickwire, Arai Jackson Ellison Murakami, LLP, "Raitt and Savery Halls Summary of Historical Research," published 03/15/2004, accessed 08/02/2022.)

A remodeling project to Raitt Hall also occurred in 1981. (See “Raitt Hall remodel bidding to university,”Seattle Daily Journal of Commerce, 05/11/1981, p. 1.)

PCAD id: 8704