Structure Type: built works - dwellings -public accommodations - hotels

Designers: Weeks and Day, Architects (firm); William Peyton Day (structural engineer); Charles Peter Weeks (architect)

Dates: constructed 1926

19 stories

999 California Street
San Francisco, CA 94108-2250

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map
1 Nob Hill is the traditional address;

Mark and Mary Hopkins originally owned a mansion at this address; Mary Hopkins bequeathed their 1878 house (and $70 million estate) to her second husband, Edward T. Searles, an interior designer, but the 1906 earthquake and fire destroyed it; Searles, in turn, willed the property to the San Francisco Art Association to create a school and museum. The Art Association (later rechristened the Art Institute of San Francisco) operated the Mark Hopkins Institute of Art in the Hopkins Mansion between 1893-1906. George D. Smith, a mining engineer and real estate mogul, obtained the property in the early 1920s; he retained the San Francisco architectural firm of Weeks and Day to design a new hotel, the Mark Hopkins, completed in 1926.

In 2010, the Mark Hopkins Hotel contained 380 rooms and stood 305 feet high.

Hotel owner, George D. Smith, added his own penthouse apartment to the top of the Mark Hopkins Hotel in 1939; the hotel was renovated in 2002.

PCAD id: 830