AKA: Strand Theatre, San Francisco, CA; Saint Francis Theatre, San Francisco, CA

Structure Type: built works - performing arts structures - theatres

Designers: Howard, John Galen, Architect (firm); John Galen Howard (architect)

Dates: constructed 1910

965 Market Street
San Francisco, CA 94103-1701

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map
Google Streetview (new tab)
click to view google map

Building History

The Saint Francis Theatre began operation in 1910, and was known as The Empress Theatre; Sid Grauman purchased the location in 1917, and changed the name to The Strand; it received the name "Saint Francis" in 1924; its seating capacity was 1,455 as a single seat theater.

The St. Francis closed in 05/2001.


In 1968, the owners of the Saint Francis divided the theatre into two, calling the upstairs venue the Baronet (a tribute to the recently closed Baronet and Coronet Theatres in New York), and the bottom retaining the Saint Francis name.

PCAD id: 800