AKA: The Grove, Fairfax District, Los Angeles, CA; The Original Farmer's Market, Fairfax District, Los Angeles, CA

Structure Type: built works - commercial buildings - markets

Designers: Dolena, James E., Architect (firm); Koning Eizenberg Architecture (firm); James E. Dolena (architect); Julie Eizenberg (architect); Hendrik Koning (architect)

Dates: constructed 1934-1937

view all images ( of 2 shown)

6333 West 3rd Street
Fairfax District, Los Angeles, CA 90036-3154

OpenStreetMap (new tab)
Google Map (new tab)
click to view google map

Building History

The Farmer's Market opened in 1934 by Earl Bell Gilmore (1887-1964), Roger C. Dahlhjelm (1881-1950), and Fred Beck with 80 farm stalls and food specialty shops; it quickly became a landmark and tourist attraction in the Fairfax District of Los Angeles. Gilmore also operated a midget race car track and, later, a baseball stadium, Gilmore Field, on the property.

Building Notes

Neill and Fred Beck published the The Farmers Market Cookbook (New York: Henry Holt and Company, 1951).

Alteration

Los Angeles architect James E. Dolena (1888-1978) unified the style of the Farmer's Market's first stalls and buildings in a New England Colonial mode, and also made additions in 1941.

Demolition

A large windmill roadside sign was replaced by a crypto-Colonial Revival tower-cupola to create a more "upscale" impression in 1948.

PCAD id: 766